Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: I was hoping this wouldn\'t happen

gambling/drugs/prostitution

Im english, but am under the immpression that conservative judges would be more likely to rule against relaxation of laws dealing with the above.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:55 PM

up or down vote webpage

Nevada about to be further embarrassed by our fine senator from searchlight.

Wait for it, wait for it....
Old 07-01-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gambling/drugs/prostitution

Im english, but am under the immpression that conservative judges would be more likely to rule against relaxation of laws dealing with the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, first I should say that as a conservative I have different opinions on all three of those issues and I am sure many conservatives have different opinions than I do on all three.

I will say that many conservatives believe that a societies moral fiber is as essential to its survival as a strong national defense. George Will has written alot about this and I will try and find something as he will be able to articulate this much better than I.

As far as the court is concerned I think a conservative justice would give defference to the people of a state to decide what forms these vices take in a society. For example a conservative justice would IMO allow Vegas to have legalized prostitution and gambling but would also allow the people of say Kansas to vote to make both illegal. This IMO is where the real dissagreements with roe v. wade occur.

Please ask some follow up questions so I can better explain the conservative position.

I should also add that being a conservative does not mean that one is not allowed to want society to reflect his or her core values.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should also add that being a conservative does not mean that one is not allowed to want society to reflect his or her core values.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt say it was, it just seems conservatives seem to harp on about returning responsibity to the individual but also seem happy to let the state enforce the morality mentioned via state apparatus rather than letting individuals make there own choices. Just becasuse something is legal dosnt mean you have to go and do it.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt say it was, it just seems conservatives seem to harp on about returning responsibity to the individual but also seem happy to let the state enforce the morality mentioned via state apparatus rather than letting individuals make there own choices. Just becasuse something is legal dosnt mean you have to go and do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but the moral code and fiber by which a society is governed does affect the members of a society even those who do not participate in whatever is in question.

If prostitution was legal does that mean that I have to allow them to solicite on my street corner, how about out in front of my house on the side walk? If you say no, then aren't you saying that society has a right to restrict certain activities it deems undesireable and only quibbling with the extent of such restriction.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If prostitution was legal does that mean that I have to allow them to solicite on my street corner, how about out in front of my house on the side walk? If you say no, then aren't you saying that society has a right to restrict certain activities it deems undesireable and only quibbling with the extent of such restriction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
I live in a city where prostitution is legal. It means that they ask me if I want to buy their services on the main street. Does it destroy my possibility to live the life I want? I just decline as I do if someone wants to sell me something else.

In fact the police here says that since the prostitution activity happens in a crowded area it makes it much more secure for the girls.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Question for Democrates

[ QUOTE ]
Man I hope Bush nominates the hardest conservative out there and shoves it down the Democrate's throats.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In general I would say that you are falling into the trap of trying to paint conservatives into a corner of black, white and absolutes when such a world does not exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you make it so hard to believe. How could anyone possible paint the conservatives as the 'my way or the highway' group?

Mind boggling.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:41 PM

I live in a residential neighborhood. Right now my 7 year old daughter is outside in the front yard playing with her 5-8 year old friends. Are you telling me I should not be concerned with whether or not a prostitute operates outside on the sidewalk?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:43 PM

Wouldnt governing people like adults who can make there own choices rather than like children who cant and must be punished when they do create a society with much stronger and geniune moral fibre.

You must have a deeply pessismistic view of human nature if you think only the government can make them act moraly.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in a residential neighborhood. Right now my 7 year old daughter is outside in the front yard playing with her 5-8 year old friends. Are you telling me I should not be concerned with whether or not a prostitute operates outside on the sidewalk?

[/ QUOTE ]

You rather want them to coindentially discover drugs, prostitution etc. when you are not with them?