Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Grilling

I hope my last post didn't come off harsh, because it wasn't intended as so. When you're starting out, avoid chicken (other than Raichlen's beer can recipe)because chicken must be cooked through, and until you have your heat control down, it can be difficult. You can burn the outside and have it raw inside.

While your starting, a good move is to get something like a boneless chuck steak (sliced thin), salt and pepper both sides, then take a plate or dish, and pour in a bunch of olive oil. Before you put the steaks on, coat it with the oil from the dish, when it's time to flip, run the steak through the dish again, and put the other side down. The oil will stop the steak from scorching, and you can get your technique down without dropping the $$ on the higher-end cuts.

Pork Tenderloin is another good candidate for the grill. A lot of times I like to marinate it in vinegar and hot sauce and then throw it on the grill. Comes great so many times.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:40 PM

Here's my advice: Have your testes removed and give them to someone who can put them to good use - they are obviously wasted on you.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my advice: Have your testes removed and give them to someone who can put them to good use - they are obviously wasted on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post sucks. OP said he's trying to grill, he's probably like 20 years old, you have to start somewhere. Your response isn't witty or helpful.

To the OP, you have some good advice in this thread. The most important, if you like medium-rare or rare steak, is to have a very hot grill surface, IMO. When I BBQ, I basically do what some of the others have mentioned. Sear one side for a few minutes, then flip and do the other side. Doesn't take more than 10 min, max, for a nice medium rare.

Another thing to remember - the meat will continue to cook a little bit after you pull it off of the grill. So if your meat is barely pink when you cut into it, don't be surprised to see it cooked the whole way through when you get around to plating it.

I'd just practice with basic sirloins to start with. Oh, and I close the top to the grill unless I'm turning it over.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:55 PM

It would probably be a good idea to get a meat thermometer. You can get an electric one from most gourmet stores that you can leave in the meat while it is on the grill, and it has a bunch of different meats programmed into it and the doneness.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would probably be a good idea to get a meat thermometer. You can get an electric one from most gourmet stores that you can leave in the meat while it is on the grill, and it has a bunch of different meats programmed into it and the doneness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those can work well, but they can get a bit innacurate when you're doing things like smoking a pork shoulder or brisket.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure pwned me, interent tought guy.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think i'll go buy that book and a thermometer.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure pwned me, interent thought guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 06-29-2005, 09:10 PM

Some mark ass trick just stepped on my sneaker, and poured Morton's salt all over 'em. Are ya'll ready to ride? RABBLE RABBLE! Lets ride on these fools at their own bar-b-que!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:20 PM

Location: They call Los Angeles the City of Angels. I didn\'t find it to be that exactly, but I\'ll allow as there are some nice folks there.

[ QUOTE ]
Some mark ass trick just stepped on my sneaker, and poured Morton's salt all over 'em. Are ya'll ready to ride? RABBLE RABBLE! Lets ride on these fools at their own bar-b-que!

[/ QUOTE ]

what?