Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 07:24 AM

Default Re: What is appropriate conversation at a B&M table?

the only time i deliberately stop chatter is if i'm not in the hand. i will talk with others not in the hand, but will not chat it up with guys/girls that are involved in the hand. if i'm in the hand it's all fair game =D
Old 06-29-2005, 07:57 AM

If you are a low limit player, you are in the entertainment business. Most low limit players, play for fun and I always try to make sure the players at my table have a good time.

People don't mind losing to a nice guy and they often don't reraise you when they have the nuts.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:32 AM

Another benefit of chatty-ness is that people will show you there hands and give away all manner of free information. Yabbing it up is without question is +EV.

Grumpy old men at the table unfortunately is -EV. My line at the table is usually "Can I buy you a drink, Sir?"

Sometimes you just need to ask for a table change. Especially when you have a majority of one.

-Matt
Old 06-29-2005, 10:11 AM

I love a chatty table with lots of laughter and good cheer. In fact, I often move if I hear a table having a good time. Happy tables are way +EV.

Assuming this was just notmal banter with friends, keep talking. Grumpy old men are usually rocks, so your chatting will either send him on tilt or send him away. Either way, you are ahead.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:01 PM

Ask the waitress to bring the old fart a pair of earplugs.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Friendly old people are the most +EV players everrrrrrrrr.

My story time...

I actualy got warned by the dealer for talking once. I was playing the 1-5 stud game at turning stone where the average age is ~165 years old. I'm usually the only one not collecting social security in that game. So I chat it up big time with the old guys, because they like talking about their grandkids and my college experiences and such. It's fun and +EV.

Anyway, this TStone regular who is really skeevy looking (I think his name is Dino) is sitting on my left and getting annoyed with my friendly chit chat. He is also re-raising me on 3rd street every time I raise, and you never see a re-raise on 3rd street in that game. So we get into a raising war in a hand, and after he caps it on 5th street, I stare directly at him and say "you really hate me, don't you." The dealer didn't think it was amusing, and basically told me keep quiet.

By the way I won the hand with kings up. The pot was about $130.

[/ QUOTE ]

The type of game it was is irrelevant. It was Dino. He's raising. J2s pre-flop.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:05 PM

I love a chatty table. Keeps me from getting bored when I'm not in the hand, which keeps me from playing too many hands when I get bored.

Live poker for me is like golf. I'm normally a very introverted guy, I hate to ask for help in a store, or deal with strangers in general. But if I'm at a poker table or on the golf course, it's like that shared interest removes any barrier.

A couple of weeks ago, the Tigers were playing Baltimore (I think). It was close late, and most of the table was following the game. We kept sharing stories about how the Tigers would just knife you in the heart after making you think it was safe, and sure enough they put the tying run on base before finally winning the game.

Hell, one (very late) night, were were putting $1 bets on guys on the TNA Wrestling show. It was great, someone would call out "I'll take him" when the first guy came out, and not knowing he was a jobber, just throw up his hands when some guy with an obvious big-time character came out second. Good times.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:36 PM

I also love the chatty tables, and try to keep the chatter going, for most of the reasons already given.

Every once in a while, at the very low limits ($2/4), I'll run into the prototypical bad guy/rock. Complaining at the dealer, grousing that people are talking too much, sometimes even reading the paper between hands.

If it's one of those seriously low-limit tables and the crusty rock starts cramping the chit-chat, I'll start straddling, in hopes of really setting the guy off. I've discovered that the one thing that pisses an angry old man even more than happy banter is a live straddle.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:11 PM

Why not tell the old timers: If you don't want chat, then play online.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also love the chatty tables, and try to keep the chatter going, for most of the reasons already given.

Every once in a while, at the very low limits ($2/4), I'll run into the prototypical bad guy/rock. Complaining at the dealer, grousing that people are talking too much, sometimes even reading the paper between hands.

If it's one of those seriously low-limit tables and the crusty rock starts cramping the chit-chat, I'll start straddling, in hopes of really setting the guy off. I've discovered that the one thing that pisses an angry old man even more than happy banter is a live straddle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Live straddle rules!!! and when it comes back to u, and the old man has called the straddle, pop it upto to 5x the straddle...soon hell get soo pissed off , hell go on crazy tilt which is very +ev , and also funny.
Once i lost a small pot when i flopped tptk with AK and guy made a set on river with 55 and i yell..."this f*cking site is soo rigged", the old man(nit whose blind id be raising continuously) gets pissed off and starts muttering stuff.."god damn god damn online players...they should shoot em all..them with their calculation of odds and reading poker books...think they know everything" i ask him, "is calculation of odds a bad thing" he goes.."wahtever.. ive played soo many hands...i know what card's usually gonna fall next..so i dont need to know the odds."
After that i destacked him no less than 5 times [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]