Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Re: i cut myself off at 30BBs

[ QUOTE ]
life is one long session.

this thread is dumb

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-29-2005, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After a few bears they will only laugh if u try to tell them maybe they arent and take their keys and drive home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bears can do that to you!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:36 AM

Yep but I think the OP may have been talking about individual tables, rather than overall losses.

I usually buy in for 25BB and when it gets low I allow myself to consider if I should continue or quit (at that table). It is good to have signposts. Sometimes I make a comeback, sometimes I just lose more but having a signpost does give you the chance to refocus and consider the table dynamics and your own mental attitude to the game/players.

Some players buy in for a ton (Schneids used to buy in for 100 BB). This is probably best of all as you can take some serious punishment without mentally taking the "walk of shame". For less experienced players, a smaller buy-in makes sense and can be usesful. No matter how many times people say it is not necessary, if someone finds it useful then let them use it.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:40 AM

i don't understand:

1) why you let 30BBs effect the quality of your play. i wouldn't let it bother me, and even if it did, i wouldnt let it effect my play.

2) why you let yourself blind out? anytime i plan on staying at a table, i reload at anytime my stack gets low enough that i don't have enough chips in front of me to cap every street. playin underolled is butt.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:42 AM

25 BB will be more than enough 98% of the time. I personnaly do that too. I take 25 BB and if I run out of cash on a table I will usually just leave and take a new table b/c when this happens I think that my table image is terrible. I rarely rebuy unless there is a VERY big fish at the table and my downswing was due to bad beats.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't understand:

1) why you let 30BBs effect the quality of your play. i wouldn't let it bother me, and even if it did, i wouldnt let it effect my play.

2) why you let yourself blind out? anytime i plan on staying at a table, i reload at anytime my stack gets low enough that i don't have enough chips in front of me to cap every street. playin underolled is butt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blind out wasn't the right term. I meant, as soon as the blinds came back around, I left.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:13 PM

The Annie Duke 30BB article is at

http://www.annieduke.com/articles.php?articleID=2

Actually, it was her brother Howard who recommended the 30BB rule in B&M games...I think the rationale changes when you're online and jump from 40 hands/hr (B&M) to 100+ hands/hr (online).
Old 06-29-2005, 03:36 PM

because last night i lost ~ 200 BB at 10/20 and i didnt cut myself.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:47 AM

This thread belongs in Psychology, if anywhere. It has nothing to do with SH/HU, except that's apparently what you sit.

If 30 BB swings affects you this much, you are maybe playing way too high. Lower your limit if this is the case.

30 BB swing is nothing. Try a 300 BB swing. One thing about poker, you're gonna have swings, good and bad.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:18 AM

This thread is funny.