Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2003, 12:21 AM

Default The Way to Play AK?

3/6 Online. Typical.
In a real bad stretch after having played for almost 2 hours and played TWO hands, both in the last 30 mins. A EMP raise with 99, two cold callers, get raised on the turn when the board is AA8K and fold. And an open raise from the SB with A10s.
Barring these hands I have not seen even *half* playable hands, even situational ones.
I KNOW those who have been sat at the table any time view me as utterly weak-tight as I have made no comments about my cold cards. They probably think I am waiting for Aces, which I will lay down on the flop to a raise.

7 handed, MP limper (to my right, has been sat only about 10 minutes) I raise with AKo, only the limper calls.
Flop 5d 2d 8s I bet, he calls
Turn 9h I bet, he calls
River 4s I bet, he pauses and calls.

He turns over Q2s. For a flopped pair of 2s, and no draw at any point. The bare minimum hand that beats me.
A few hands later I realise he is definitely too loose. Too late.

In the past my default play here is to check the river, hoping my nut no-pair beats my opponent, and if he beats me he calls. But reading about giving opponents free showdowns with hands they wouldn't call the river with I have decided changing might be right. I hate the idea of people thinking I only bet the river if I've got the goods, thus inviting further calling down.

So what I'm interested in is the play of an unimproved AK. I think I really need help on this score.
I'm becoming a magnet for people calling me down when I have a missed AK, but don't get paid off when I have a big AA or KK, despite the fact I play the hands essentially the same often.
Talk about "What the fish put you on"...