Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: why are the pros cleaning up so much?

[ QUOTE ]
The pros lost so much last year that the "Fairness Policy" has shifted back into their favor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that like the Cashout Curse [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 03:55 PM

I played the 5K pot limit event. There were only 239 entrants. Sat at two tables and didn't know anyone at either of them. There were two players I kept my eyes on. The rest were weaker. So both apsects were in effect: the ratio of pro to amateur was high, and the amateurs weren't very good.

Matt
Old 06-28-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
chan, seidel, seif, cunningham, arieh, todd brunson, cloutier, greenstein...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, why are the best players in the world doing well? Strange that they would be able to wade through a bunch of idiots in a tournament every now and then.

This question sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

So does your attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he's got a valid point. I mean... why do pros do better than amateurs at anything?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:19 PM

The pros did fine at the WSOP last year. There were a few no-name winners, Drehobl, Vogl, Sica... you could argue Gavin Griffin to be in that group.. but almost all the other events were won by pros. I think there are actually more no-names winning bracelets this year, though of course there are also more events total.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played the 5K pot limit event. There were only 239 entrants. Sat at two tables and didn't know anyone at either of them. There were two players I kept my eyes on. The rest were weaker. So both apsects were in effect: the ratio of pro to amateur was high, and the amateurs weren't very good.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHHA YOU DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE MONEY FISH HAHHAHAHAHAHA
Old 06-29-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the pros are dominating this years wsop. there's been so many big name winners - chan, seidel, seif, cunningham, arieh, todd brunson, cloutier, greenstein...

what is going on? how are they able to fight through these huge fields? i thought everyone said it wouldn't happen like this and it would just be random amateurs taking the bracelets home. what have the pros figured out?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cause they moved it to the Rio.

Live poker is rigged - they have stacked the deck with extra 8s and 6s - and only told the pros.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the pros are dominating this years wsop. there's been so many big name winners - chan, seidel, seif, cunningham, arieh, todd brunson, cloutier, greenstein...

what is going on? how are they able to fight through these huge fields?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an awful lot of big name players. You could probably think of twenty names off the top of your head that have done nothing so far.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:00 PM

It's certainly difficult for any one pro to dominate, but you're talking about a pool of pros. There are probably close to 100 pros that you would recognize as pros who are playing in these events. Once you get past the holdem events and the buy-in get over $2.5k the fields shrink considerably so the "pros" do make up a considerable percentage. Also, some of the events that you named are non-holdem games where the pros are 50% of the field, or if not 50% a pretty significant portion.