Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Poker vs business

Does anyone know how much does a McDonalds owner makes per location?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on location

e.g. - disneyland mcdonalds - f[/i]uckloads
airports - more than urban areas
europe - not so much
Old 06-27-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be flat out astonished if the incomes that we've been fortunate enough to become accustomed to are as attainable 4 years from now.

There may be some exceptions and BK may well be one of them, but if you think it's going to be easy to make 6 figures playing poker in the future as it is now, you're being extremely optimistic.

On top of that, it gets easier and easier for McDonalds guy to increase his annual income. It gets harder and harder for BK to do the same thing without branching out and becoming McDonalds guy.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it seems like I'm on the Scrub bandwagon lately, but I agree 100% with this post.

Some of the younger posters I know are looking at poker as something to take advantage of now, while it's hot. But I think the large number of people on here who claim to want to be "pros" are going to look back in a few years and be wishing they had done something else.

Not directed at bicyclekick, but more to some of the others I've seen mention that lately.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This article seems to imply that the average franchisee makes a little less than $150,000 per location.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the younger posters I know are looking at poker as something to take advantage of now, while it's hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

My situation is different from BK's, but I empathise with the above statement. Instead of having a summer job working a register or selling stuff at Best Buy, I am setting my own hours and making more money doing something I like. I don't necessarily know whether or not the online poker craze will continue years from now, but I know what thing: I hate working for the man. And in my current situation, online poker is just too inviting compared to some dead-end summer job.

Now, after college is a whole different story. Poker will likely be a venture on the side, where I will make most of my income in some other entrepreneuing. But that's 4 years away, my interests could easily change.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On top of that, it gets easier and easier for McDonalds guy to increase his annual income. It gets harder and harder for BK to do the same thing without branching out and becoming McDonalds guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more money you have the easier it is to make more of it. I'm sure BK wont have any problems about earning money in the future (assuming he is smart enough to save a large amount of it).

People who make huge amounts of money are people who care about money too much.

BTW people who run businesses arent well off, try run one yourself and you'll be back playing poker in no time.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being wealthy and "having an income above the median national income" are extremely different things.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Largest shareholder at Party cashed out over $650 million cash today. In addition to that, he owns about $2.5-3B more in Party stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

6 bill or so in stock all based on the faith of gamblers. No assets, nothing tangible. That's a heck of a lot of faith.

Who else is buying come Thursday?

Lawrence
Old 06-27-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some of the younger posters I know are looking at poker as something to take advantage of now, while it's hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

My situation is different from BK's, but I empathise with the above statement. Instead of having a summer job working a register or selling stuff at Best Buy, I am setting my own hours and making more money doing something I like. I don't necessarily know whether or not the online poker craze will continue years from now, but I know what thing: I hate working for the man. And in my current situation, online poker is just too inviting compared to some dead-end summer job.

Now, after college is a whole different story. Poker will likely be a venture on the side, where I will make most of my income in some other entrepreneuing. But that's 4 years away, my interests could easily change.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was an 18 or 19 year old, I'd probably be doing the same thing.

BTW, I love to hear people talk about not wanting to "work for the man". I think this is funny. If that means you don't want to work some menial job, I understand that. But there are plenty of jobs where you're working for "someone", but are able to carve your own path. People always mention that when they talk about why they want to play for a living, and I think it's a cop out in some cases.

But, again, I've made this rant before.

To each their own, if people can be happy playing everyday for a living, then more power to them. I'm just not one of those people, I'll take my 8-5 and benefits for now, thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 11:40 PM

In any line of work there are some who are very sucessful, some who are moderately successful, and some who are failures. This is true for poker and business. The fact is that the very sucessful business people make tons more money than the very succesful poker players.

If you love poker and want to spend your life playing the game, then maybe it is the right career for you.

Its not my place to tell people what to do, but you really have to ask yourself whether you really love it or whether you are seduced by what looks like easy money. Will you still love it when you have to play and you are faced with grinding it out for the next 20 or 30 years?

Some of you young guys haven't yet experienced what it is like to fully support yourself without any parental help. When you do, you might change your mind about what constitutes an acceptable level of wealth (or you might not).