Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Ridiculous Tipping

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
didn't provide very good service....We tipped him 120% the price of the meal just for the look on his face

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not get this at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes tipping is just an easy way to be nice - to brighten someone's day. So, when they're mean to you, you don't have to return the favor by giving them a shitty tip, you can be nice and make their day. This is especially good if you ever plan to return to the restaurant. Next time they'll remember you for being the "nice guy" and you'll probably get better service.

Besides, 120% of the meal price was still probably just 10-20 bucks. It's not like you can't afford to make someone's day and shatter a stereotype at the same time.

My S/O and I often share a meal and sometimes get that look from the servers that we're cheap and won't tip well. But really, we just know our appetites and don't like to order too much food that will just get wasted. So, we often tip 30-50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I overtip all the time. I just prefer to do it to people who are friendly and good to everyone, that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think sometimes overtipping incredibly horrible service, makes more of a point than stiffing them.

I had an experience similiar to the other poster. A group of about 8 of us when I was in HS went into dennys at like 1am one time. Between the 8 of us all we ordered was like 3 shakes and a side of frys. You could tell the waitress just totally had us pegged as the young punk table that shes not getting a tip from, and she gave us awful service. We sat there for like 2 hours and left $40 on like a a $15 tab. She actually ran out into the parking lot and thanked us, and apologized for being such a bitch and being judgemental. That did more for her than us just leaving her like $2.

Im not saying you should try and change every crappy service persons attitute, but sometimes its worth it.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:46 PM

I generally tip 25-30% if the service is good...

The only time I have ever not tipped was back in college one drunken nite I ordered dominos and barely had enough for the pizza but I ordered at least twice a week and always tipped well (minimum of $2 for one pizza) so I said to the guy, who i saw an average of once a week, I will make sure I make it up to you next time...

He starts freaking out and saying "what am I supposed to tell my kids" this pissed me off since I had always taken care of this guy even when my friends wanted to stiff him so I flipped out and told him " Why don't you tell them daddy can't afford to feed you because he can't find A REAL JOB" and slammed the door in his face
Old 06-26-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally tip 25-30% if the service is good...

The only time I have ever not tipped was back in college one drunken nite I ordered dominos and barely had enough for the pizza but I ordered at least twice a week and always tipped well (minimum of $2 for one pizza) so I said to the guy, who i saw an average of once a week, I will make sure I make it up to you next time...

He starts freaking out and saying "what am I supposed to tell my kids" this pissed me off since I had always taken care of this guy even when my friends wanted to stiff him so I flipped out and told him " Why don't you tell them daddy can't afford to feed you because he can't find A REAL JOB" and slammed the door in his face

[/ QUOTE ]

clASSy
Old 06-26-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the last day of school last semester five friends and I went to some hip café in LA and drank up a storm... The bill wound up being about $410, so we left an even $500, I believe, and went on with our night.

I was really upset on the ride home when I realized that the $410 already included an 18% gratuity since there were 6 of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened a few times when i used to work in a resteraunt, once we ended up getting like $ 250 on a $450 tab because we got tipped 20% ON TOP of the top 20% we already added to their bill.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:52 PM

I can't believe all these people overtipping to try and change someone's behaviour.

If no-one tipped them they would probably buck up their attitude sharpish.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:56 PM

Some friends and I went to a place in Boston one time, forget the name but it was near Harvard Square I think. Anyhow, we were all underage but tried to get the waitress to serve us some alcohol. We were in uniform and that usually got us over. However this lady was a hardass about it. We were very polite though, but after that, she was incredibly rude and her service was incredibly shitty. So for her tip we left some pocket change on the table amounting to less than a dollar. She actually yelled at us across the restaurant as were walking out when she saw the tip.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:58 PM

mildly amusing tip stories:

i ordered a pizza from my local resturant and when the lady came to deliver and i opened the door i realized it was one of my favorite workers there. she has always been very nice and curteous to all the customers there and it shows big time. i tipped her 15 and she was extremely happy.

i bought these box of chocolates that look like poker chips. i had them in denominations of 5, 25, and 100 and was bringing them to turningstone and was handing them out to people i knew just for some amusing conversation. a waitress came over and i asked her for a coke and tipped her a dollar bill plus a $100 chocolate chip. she must have thought it was a real $100 chip because the look on her face was priceless and she walked away so fast as if she was afraid i might realize i gave the wrong chip and ask for it back.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:14 PM

my friend is a waitress at a sushi restaurant. one time some guy came in, i think she knew him or something. anyways.

500$ tip on a ~$100 tab.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:20 PM

well i dont exactly know what happened in the situation, but i respect your action of only leaving pocket change. it really symbolizes what you thought of her service moreso than if you just didnt tip at all.

however, i dont know if the tip was just. you mentioned trying to be served alcohol underage and she didnt allow it. you have to realize that by trying to get alcohol underage you are putting the waitress at jeopardy if she serves it to you and therefore she has a right to be aggrivated by your inconsiderate actions.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my friend is a waitress at a sushi restaurant. one time some guy came in, i think she knew him or something. anyways.

500$ tip on a ~$100 tab.

[/ QUOTE ]

She probably knew him quite well.