Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: has anyone else lost respect for sklansky lately?

So if I proclaimed that I hate black people, you would still respect me? If I said Hitler was the greatest man ever to live, no loss of respect?

Interesting distinction you are making there...
Old 06-24-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if I proclaimed that I hate black people, you would still respect me? If I said Hitler was the greatest man ever to live, no loss of respect?

Interesting distinction you are making there...

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you back it up respectfully in coherent manner and not act on your actions Id respect you
Old 06-24-2005, 05:28 PM

I haven't read many of his posts on religion because those threads just don't interest me that much.

However....

[ QUOTE ]

and then his stabs at middle america, with his subtle and implied insults towards anyone who does not doubt the existence of God or the divinity of Jesus or whatever else he may not wholeheartedly suscribe to.

[/ QUOTE ]

unless he has stated specifically that he is taking a stab at middle-america (and you said it was 'subtle' and 'implied' so I'm assuming he didn't) I fail to see how doubting God's existence is more insulting to those who do not live on either coast.

Obviously there are more 'red' states here in the middle and there is certainly quite a bit of Christianity practiced in this region of the country.
But if a Christian in middle-America were to be offended by his views then why wouldn't a Christian in NY or LA or Philly or Seattle be equally offended?

(to clarify, I have found nothing offensive about David's willingness to speak his mind regarding his opinion of religion or Christianity...but, again, I haven't read much of it).

I was born (Wisconsin), raised (Cincinnati area) and currently reside (Memphis) in this 'middle-america' region and I fail to see how his comments is taking a stab at this area of the country.

If David were to say, "Hey Bob. I've been to Memphis...and it kind of BLOWS!" then that would be 'taking a stab' (although I would also happen to agree with him!!)

I am an athiest FWIW (although I was raised by a 'regular' Christian church-going family).
Old 06-24-2005, 05:56 PM

The reasons for Sklansky's refusal to play Negreanu has been explained several times - try to understand, it is just like Hellmuth trying to explain why he will toss a 60 or even 70% favorite early in a tournament: There is no reason not to get the best odds possible; why take what might at best be a coin-flip, for a large portion of your stack (or bankroll) when you know a better oportunity will come up?

Lets say you have worked your way to $15/$30 online games and make $100 per hour. You have a total bankroll of $10,050 (and would have to start over at .50/$1 with $50 if you lose) and I offer to flip a coin for it: heads you win $10,500 and tails you lose the whole $10,000. Do you accept the challenge?

IMHO you would be foolish to do so, as the time it would take to regain a substantial BR if you lose (by starting at .50/$1) would negate the advantages of winning - meaning you could just keep playing at $15/$30 as you are currently playing and make $100 an hour multi-tabling, and have an almost guaranteed win of $10,000 in 100 hours. JMHO

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 06:07 PM

The more I read this forum, the more I think Sklansky fears Daniel Negreanu!
Old 06-24-2005, 06:18 PM

this isnt all a shot at david

?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:55 PM

clarifications.........

1. when i say "middle america" its a broadstroke term for your average american Christian

2. i never said i was religious, Christian, or anything for that matter, and its not important in the discussion

3. i dont have a problem with davids spiritual beliefs, but the arrogance that comes through in his posts regarding his and others beliefs

4. poker-wise, david is awesome. that goes without saying. hes the best gaming theorist, period. that also doesnt have much to do with my post

5. whenever i read any of his posts regarding anything life-related, he often makes me sick. not because what he says necessarily offends me personally, it may have absolutely nothing to do with me, but often because it offends my sense of respect for other people. his posts regarding spirituality have strong feeling to them that he views spiritual people as simpletons. and that degree of arrogance is certainly not respectable
Old 06-24-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his posts regarding spirituality have strong feeling to them that he views spiritual people as simpletons.

[/ QUOTE ]
David does not view spiritual people as simpletons at all! Unfortunately, spiritual people are just too stupid to understand this.