Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: China taking over the world

Yupz.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I don't get is how we can be so in bed with the Chinese and still be boycotting Cuba.

[/ QUOTE ]
A 50+ year grudge?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:55 AM

I'll start by saying I don't know about China.

All I know is it seems like forever (many years) that there's always been discussion about the trade deficit between the US and China. Every year the politicians have discussed it and no one has ever made any progress on protecting ourselves.

I think our thirst for cheap products has been bound to have a negative effect... and its been ignored.

I think outsourcing and having all production leave America has led to cheaper products but the long term effects have been to strengthen the economies of other countries while weakening ours.

Please excuse me if this is either overly simplistic or even outright wrong. (again.. this isnt my area.)

But it seems like people have been predicting this for years but no one did anything about it. And we may be feeling it in the near future.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:01 AM

Greenspan addressed this in his recent testimony. He, like all rational economists, realizes that education and shifting from low end to high end products is the only way for Americans to compete in the global economy. However, like all of Greenspan's testimonies congress uses it as a springboard for ideaology rather then a chance to ask a smart man some questions.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Shocking....

To me the question is "Who cares if new groups assimilate or not?"

80 years ago it may have mattered, but as the population and economy has grown as well as become diverse it makes no difference. You can call me rascist if you want and I don't care, but speaking for myself it's ahrd to interact with asians, africans and middle east people. Their language and culture is vastly different. My contact with asians is seeing them at poker tables or buying take-out from them. It's not like I'm going to join a bowling league with them or the possibility that they would join the same service organizations as me...

The fact that they "choose" to stay seperate is fine with me. My attitude towards them is the same as theirs is towards us.