Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Question for the Pros

FWIW, I think I would've been better off if I hadn't any money or time on grad school. There's an opportunity cost with everything you do.

-John
Old 06-18-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) All I have to do to reload is click a button, this is very deceptive. For example if you ship two stacks of green across the table live, you feel it immediately, wow I'm stuck a thou, this is not the case online (at least for me), be wary of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really that bad? Wouldn't you not want to be reminded that you just dropped a grand? Thinking about how you're stuck a buyin seems like it'd alter your play.. at least moreso than brushing it off by reloading by clicking a button.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:30 AM

It doesn't affect my play, but I'm more aware and say concentrate more....but online, I never know...it just doesn't have the same feeling...I can't really explain it...

edit: multitabling the 5/10 online back in the day, I played like a total maniac, I could drop 4k in 2 hours and not even realize it...then I look at how much I'm up at the end of teh day trying to figure out how I'm still stuck 1k...and just realized it was the constant click reload button...not even for full stacks, but jus to top off...I don't know. But when I walk to the cage or reach into my pocket for money I'm more cognizant....
Old 06-19-2005, 07:02 AM

the single most important thing you can do is to have an adequate bankroll. early in my career i went broke without having a losing week. getting ground down like that was the most stressfull and trying thing ive ever experienced. if you dont have many expences it may be different for you but with a family and considerable expences i havent been able to grow my bankroll at the rate ive wanted too and that leads to a lot of stress. the up side is the time with my family. there is nothing else that i can do that gives me as much time with them. poker can take over your life though and since you are young without a family to support make the effort to not let it be your whole life. its not healthy and although it may seem now like its the road to happiness you kust have a rounded life in my opinion to really find any happiness.
gl
matty