Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Bracket
Eminem 29 80.56%
William Hung 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Dynasty on starvation. Am I being overly sensitive?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dynasty's statement was absurd

[/ QUOTE ]
There are now 11 voters who belive Dynasty was correct in concluding that anyone who starves to death basically does so by choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was not what I said.

Your ridiculous misrepresentation is why I hardly ever get involved in these ridiculous threads. Even if somebody clearly states something, somebody else will read it whatever way they want to make it mean something else.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dynasty's statement was absurd

[/ QUOTE ]
There are now 11 voters who belive Dynasty was correct in concluding that anyone who starves to death basically does so by choice. I wonder if it's possible to get one or more of them to offer any reasoning behind their belifs

[/ QUOTE ]

What needs to be explained that has not been said? It is almost always the local govt's mismangement/misappropriation of land or food supplies that results in local starvation. War is also a bitch. What is your real intention here? I sense it is to try and point fingers at the evil white man starving out the poor around the world for our amusement. Well, I'm not signing up for that guilt trip.

To explain why, please consider the nation of Zimbabwe. A few thousand white farmers, most of whom bought their land with the blessing of Robert Mugabe's regime, once produced enough food to feed not only the entire nation of Zimbabwe, but most of its neighbors besides. Their lands were stolen from them (which I imagine you approved of. Forgive me if I am incorrect) and distributed to Mugabe's cronies, who sent in squatters to enforce their claims. As a result of this, no one will loan money to farms in Zimbabwe & the few with the know-how to run a large farming operation have fled the country. So a nation whos granaries were bursting at the seams a few short years ago now faces famine conditions in certain parts of the country. As an aside, we might also consider the livelihoods provided by those farmers to the local populations that have been lost (farm hands, truck drivers, etc).

There are hundreds of millions of impoverished peasants in China and India, both developing nations who are not yet rich by any means. Yet the overwhelming majority of their respective populations manage to eat every day. How do they pull this off? For whatever the individual human rights problems these nations have (and it is considerable), they do not engage in policies that will cause the systematic starvation of their populations. It is unfortunate that so many tin-pot dictators do. While I have sympathy for those who live under such regimes, their plight is not my fault and there is nothing I can do for them.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not that hard to get food. Millenia before our ancestors discovered fire, they managed to eat.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, it's not hard to get food. But people who starve to death does not do it by choice?

Please enlighten us.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:45 AM

I belive you are changing the scope.

I understand Dynastys words as being directed to the individual person starving, not to the government or whatever. And since he refuses to explain what he meant I can only go with my understanding of his statement.

[ QUOTE ]
What is your real intention here?

[/ QUOTE ]
My real intention is exactly what I stated in my OP. I want to know if people agree with the statement. I find it to be absurd and ignorant.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your ridiculous misrepresentation is why I hardly ever get involved in these ridiculous threads. Even if somebody clearly states something, somebody else will read it whatever way they want to make it mean something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the thread "Helping the World's Poor", discussing the thousands of people who are starving to death daily:

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it would seem that in order for everybody to get these services, they would only have to pony up about $5-$20 each per year. If people aren't willing to do what it takes to earn and pay that amount themselves, why should I be giving it away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to not get involved, but your original statement was entirely absurd and you've done nothing to back it up since. This is simply because you can't.

We don't live in a world where everyone has a chance. Many millions of people have absolutely no chance at all.

Feel free not to care about that and not to donate money. But don't pretend it's not happening. Or indeed that corrupt governments are the entire reason we can't help resolve the issue.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dynasty's statement was absurd. But he has the right not to explain it. Sometimes people say things that they would rather just see buried and forgotten. I've certainly done that before on this board, and probably will sometime again. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. On the other hand people over their reject our gifts of free Polio Vaccines because they think we are trying to poison them. Attitudes like that makes me lose faith in them.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:47 PM

"I agree. On the other hand people over there reject our gifts of free Polio Vaccines because they think we are trying to poison them. Attitudes like that makes me lose faith in them."

fixed spelling. I am starting to think I'm dyslexic. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

-drunk wacki
Old 06-19-2005, 10:01 PM

Didn't the European/American Settlers give blankets to the Indians filled with smallpox? Just something to think about.