Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: flop action?

I am going against the forum here and checking. I don't think slowplaying is always a grievous error. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I'd like to let people try to catch up bit or try to push me off what they see as missed overs. But here's how it plays out. I think the rest of the flop is interesting. Turn and river are of course, obvious.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Heroine is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Heroine checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine 3-bets</font>, Button calls, UTG calls $6.50 (All-In), Heroine calls, Button calls.

River: (19.37 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 21.37 BB
Old 06-16-2005, 07:27 PM

My concern is that there really isn't a card on the turn that's going to improve anybody's hand, unless somebody boats up their 9, so by giving a free card ALL you're accomplishing is giving somebody a free chance to beat you.

You also don't have the best position for a slow-play, exactly in the middle of the pack. When a rock falls on the turn and you come out firing having checked the flop, you're still going to get a fold from the same hands that were folding the flop, whether they've improved or not.

OTOH, if you bet the flop when the bets are cheap it may just be seen as a continuation bet, and you might be able to get some people willing to pay to draw. It just seems that checking this through and betting out when it's checked to you on the turn screams monster, whereas betting out the flop just screams I want you to think I have a monster.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What dream world do you live in where a flop bet folds the field?

[/ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 2 BB
Old 06-16-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This flop play on this hand was brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider that you might be slightly biased.

Wise man once said "betting is underrated".

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-16-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What dream world do you live in where a flop bet folds the field? [ QUOTE ]

it happens, even against LPs. especially when you happen to be running hot at the table, which I was.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:41 PM

So, UTG is cashing out, Button has a 9 and CO bailed. If you had bet out, Button raises, UTG gets the rest of his money in quicker, and you get to 3-bet. I don't really see slow-playing changing this hand for the better.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My concern is that there really isn't a card on the turn that's going to improve anybody's hand, unless somebody boats up their 9, so by giving a free card ALL you're accomplishing is giving somebody a free chance to beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remind why someone getting a 9 full boat is a bad thing?

Krishan
Old 06-16-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You also don't have the best position for a slow-play, exactly in the middle of the pack. When a rock falls on the turn and you come out firing having checked the flop, you're still going to get a fold from the same hands that were folding the flop, whether they've improved or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. If someone doesn't have a pair they are less likely to call a bet than if they have a pair.

Krishan
Old 06-16-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This flop play on this hand was brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider that you might be slightly biased.

Wise man once said "betting is underrated".

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah I'm biased. The brilliant part was the flop cr and the thinking behind it.

Just want to point out that there is a chapter in TOP and HEPFAP on slowplaying. There is a place for slowplaying in poker. It is absolutely correct in some situations. If you don't slowplay here, where do you slowplay?

Krishan
Old 06-16-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, UTG is cashing out, Button has a 9 and CO bailed. If you had bet out, Button raises, UTG gets the rest of his money in quicker, and you get to 3-bet. I don't really see slow-playing changing this hand for the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite.

Krishan