Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Splitting up the forum into different levels

[ QUOTE ]
ROI Discussion

[/ QUOTE ]

This would simply have one sticky FAQ:

Q: What... ? How... ? Does... ? Should... ?

A: NO!

citanul sez: You are a worthless piece of dog excrement.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:50 PM

A lot of people's reactions are that they will lose a lot of the top posters advice. I think this is true to an extent, but when a good-great poster usually responds its to a higher buyin game (or responding to an established poster) anyway.

I think this will help to create a higher quality SNG forum on both sides. As it is now, most of the threads are useless and the sheer number of them stymie people (especially the good posters who have seen these threads 1000+ times) from seriously reading the forum. Or at best people are glancing at the most recent thread titles and reading a few. Possibly. I know that's what I do and I suck.

People underestimate how information overload just results in people ignoring 99% of the information.

Yes, this is a public forum and people are allowed to post whatever they want under the T&C. But I think directing this traffic in a more intelligent way can make the forums better for everybody. The people who are in the $11-$33s but know basic bankroll answers and whatever (say like me) can answer the questions of the newcomers who don't know to search for FAQ. All the meanwhile, advanced strategies can be discussed in the higher buyin forum. The better players are more likely to respond to these since these situations are more likely to interest them. They also are less likely to miss a thread they'd respond to in the sea of other threads they would never respond to. Yes, there will still be plenty of crap to wade through, but it will be much more manageable and probably won't deter good posters from contributing to the forum.

This is a simple case of information management. Yes, there are some cons as mentioned by others, but I think the pros far outweight them.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:58 PM

Yeah, it was sarcasm. The $215+ would die.

except for trolls - or lower limit wannabees
Old 06-16-2005, 06:03 PM

How about splitting it in two:<ul type="square">[*]Good Posts (Strategies, hand analysis, etc.) [*]Bad Posts (Bad beats, "How is my ROI?", etc.) [/list]It would be on the honor system. If your post sucks, put it in the Bad Posts forum. Otherwise, post in the Good Posts forum.

In case you were wondering, this post belongs in the Bad Posts forum.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:12 PM

Many posters show their buyin/level in the subject--if everyone did it, we could have cake and eat it too.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many posters show their buyin/level in the subject--if everyone did it, we could have cake and eat it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my response to gumpzilla. Sure, that's all well and good, but I'm curious if it really hits home with some posters what level they are analyzing.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Read my response to gumpzilla. Sure, that's all well and good, but I'm curious if it really hits home with some posters what level they are analyzing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about it some more, and I think splitting the forum may be a good idea, but instead of splitting it by levels, I'd suggest the following split:

- jokes about Yugo/raptor/skipperbob/etc.
- actual content
Old 06-16-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. Let's face it. Many of the posts regarding plays at the $11s are standard plays. If you're playing at the $55s, you usually aren't going to be asking if pushing with AK on the bubble is a good play. This isn't to ridicule the lower limit posters in any way. (On a side note, I was playing the $11s as late as February of this year. I've been there recently.) It's merely to point out that every limit has different methods that should make you a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think even a good player benefits from explaining standard plays from time to time. If he skips all those he might never find out other ways of looking at it. And having to formulate why you feel a certain play is correct forces you to think about the play. And when much of what you do is at least partly on auto-pilot that is a useful thing.

That said, no one should expect every poster to give their answer to if pushing AJ from CO with 2xBB is the correct play. One is enough.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:37 PM

I think it is a bad idea, but maybe posts could be tagged so we know what levels these posts are most applicable to when we read them and can be filtered if desired. I would hate to lose the advice of the experienced players. Additionally, I believe that experienced players learn, and strengthen their own play by teaching us.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:39 PM

Every single post on this forum should include the easiest way of getting a read on your opponents, buy-in level.

I use the term "read" very loosely, as is applicable at my level.