Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: your mistake is definitely on the turn

The way I think about it is that by raising the turn you lose the same amount when you are behind and might push off a hand that has Q,K or maybe bottom pair in it.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your steal attempt is a fine one. Your big mistake came on the turn. Calling is the last thing you want to do here. It gives you no information. The pot is small, so folding is still an option. It is probably your best option. That being said, I am not disciplined enough to just give up on this hand. I think I raise the turn. If he 3 bets, it is an obvious fold. If he folds, wonderful. If he just calls, he is probably checking to you on the river. If he calls and leads out on the river, fold it. Either way, it gives you more information about his hand and it won't cost you a single cent more than calling down the turn and river will. It also gives him the opportunity to fold. A turn raise is how I would do things for this hand. Folding isn't out of the question, but simply calling on the turn should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm completely baffled by this. The information you get isn't worth the price you pay. The only extra value you get out of raising the turn is getting him to fold a hand like K9, which has three outs against you (and you're glad that he's bluffing into you with only three outs -- and you're hoping he'll keep it up on the river).

For the same price, you see a showdown, you see what he defended with, you find out if he's willing to push back with a weak/moderate hand (medium pocket pair, perhaps?). Why are you so thrilled with the idea of trying to push him off his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

i don't have ANY clue why we're raising this turn?!? he's not folding anything that beats us here, and everything else he has is way behind us. raising anywhere is poor play imo.

p.s. fold this turn (unless you have a read that villain bluffs aces)
Old 06-16-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Raise the turn and then fold to 3-bet???!

Hey guys.

I just checked out the pot size:

it starts at 3.25 bb on the turn.

He bets into me. If I raise and he re-raises, that's 8.25 (7.75 after rake) to 1.

I have 2 outs to what's almost definitely the best hand, as well as 3 outs to a hand that beats hands other than aces up.

So, therefore, do I call if he three-bets?

Also, if I do call the turn 3-bet, and he leads into me on a jack river or an 8 river, dare I raise?

--Dave.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your steal attempt is a fine one. Your big mistake came on the turn. Calling is the last thing you want to do here. It gives you no information. The pot is small, so folding is still an option. It is probably your best option. That being said, I am not disciplined enough to just give up on this hand. I think I raise the turn. If he 3 bets, it is an obvious fold. If he folds, wonderful. If he just calls, he is probably checking to you on the river. If he calls and leads out on the river, fold it. Either way, it gives you more information about his hand and it won't cost you a single cent more than calling down the turn and river will. It also gives him the opportunity to fold. A turn raise is how I would do things for this hand. Folding isn't out of the question, but simply calling on the turn should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm completely baffled by this. The information you get isn't worth the price you pay. The only extra value you get out of raising the turn is getting him to fold a hand like K9, which has three outs against you (and you're glad that he's bluffing into you with only three outs -- and you're hoping he'll keep it up on the river).

For the same price, you see a showdown, you see what he defended with, you find out if he's willing to push back with a weak/moderate hand (medium pocket pair, perhaps?). Why are you so thrilled with the idea of trying to push him off his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

i don't have ANY clue why we're raising this turn?!? he's not folding anything that beats us here, and everything else he has is way behind us. raising anywhere is poor play imo.

p.s. fold this turn (unless you have a read that villain bluffs aces)

[/ QUOTE ]

No reads. I am ashamed. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: What the heck, one more idea

How about sometimes raising and sometimes calling down?

Seriously.

Edit: I like the idea of raising now, because it scares the crap out of him, gets a free showdown, and teaches him some respect. Also, the fact that I HAVE SOMETHING right now, when I raise, and he gets to see that I have something, will lend me more credibility when I raise the turn with nothing in the future. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The reason I'm leaning towards calling down sometimes and raising sometimes is that I don't want to fall into the pattern of calling down with something (letting him bluff off his stack) and raising when I've got nothing.

Sometimes I'll checkraise the flop with something. Sometimes I'll checkraise the flop with nothing.

Sometimes I'll slowplay a pair.
Sometimes I'll slowplay nothing.

This doesn't really help me, because people tend to go to SD if they've put in money on the turn, for some weird reason, unless they're on a total bluff.

Against a better player, though, you could get away with this.

--Dave.

Refutation:

Against really uber-awesome opponents, we do this, kinda. Against regular guys, in our first or second steal of a session where the players will never see us again and if so won't necessarily remember (the better ones are often multitabling and not in the hand so they won't notice), I think we can pick a line and go with it as a standard, most plus EViest line. But if we get to the 15/30++ tables, we need to mix it up a bit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--Dave.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Stealing w/J8s Dick Caught in Vice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Players with 12/2 stats are the easiest to play

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. He has only 45 hands though, doesn't count for much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Esp. the pfr portion of those stats.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The way I think about it is that by raising the turn you lose the same amount when you are behind and might push off a hand that has Q,K or maybe bottom pair in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) The pot is not big enough that it's worth protecting in this spot. The pot is 4BB when it's your turn action, so you would be investing *HALF* of the pot to try to buy the pot from these 3-out hands.

2) If villain 3-bets, you're getting about 8.25:1 for a 5-outer on the river, so folding isn't so good.

3) Why are you trying to fold out hands worse than yours that might pay off a river bet, such as bottom pair? You might also be folding out hands that are willing to bet the river as a follow-through to the turn bet.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:05 PM

yeah, the more I am thinking about it, the more I am agreeing with you. Small pot, nothing to protect, I am just calling.
What if the pot was bigger? Let's say more than 10BB. Would raise be ok?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, the more I am thinking about it, the more I am agreeing with you. Small pot, nothing to protect, I am just calling.
What if the pot was bigger? Let's say more than 10BB. Would raise be ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really tough to say because the pot is not going to be that big on a blind-stealing hand.

Any way that I can imagine the pot growing to be that big, you're probably in a situation where you need to catch up and calling is preferred.

But for the sake of argument, let's say that it magically grew to that size with everything else being exactly the same. I'm still inclined to call with a pair of jacks because he's not likely to fold his hand on the turn to the raise (beacuse the pot is now big) and he's still properly folding a hand that has three outs against us.

The board texture is playing a huge role in this. If I had 98s and the board were 964-A, then a raise is better because villain is conceivably drawing to 6 outs against me on his bluff and will incorrectly fold his hand to a raise. With the top pair on the flop being so large, there are fewer ways that I can be outdrawn, so I'm less worried about knocking him out.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you do don't raise for information. It will be a very expensive and not very useful info. If he calls your bet what better info do you get? If he 3-bets the bad thing is that you have the odds to call. If he bets the river then the pot will be so large that you might have to call again in the rare case he's bluffing. Generally without reads just fold the turn and wait for the next hand.