Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Hooks, $215 SNG- how\'s my line?

[ QUOTE ]
Meta-rule: "When you are playing a calling station, play very simple, ABC poker."

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my point when I asked about the turn. I think check/calling is very bad here, so I wanted to know what was your reasoning. If he's a calling station and you think you have the best hand, you have to raise. If there's a good chance he'll call you with a hand that you have beat, why wouldn't you do it?

I think your line would be perfect against a maniac, not a calling station.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I labeled her as a passive player, I can't see her betting a set on a 4-flush board so I ruled that out as a possibility, but point taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, misunderstood you here -- you were talking about your line, where you checked and she bet. Yeah, I guess I'd call there too, for lack of anything better. But I wouldn't have gotten myself in that situation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And my general point about a free card with a flush, which you seem to agree with, still stands.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, what hand do you put jessie on? Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

99 or other middle pair has been mentioned, but I think A9 is very possible, and the way some people play AK even makes that possible. I see her bet on the turn as a test of your hand (and maybe a flush bluff) after your check.

AxKd (or AxQd) would also account for the calls pre- and post-flop, the test bet on the turn and the call on the river.

She doesn't have a boat because I would think a raise of your river bet would have been in order - unless she thinks you might have 9s full beating her 2s full (A2). Quad 2s are also out - why not raise the river?

I think AxKd or AxQd or A9. - w
Old 06-16-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Meta-rule: "When you are playing a calling station, play very simple, ABC poker."

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my point when I asked about the turn. I think check/calling is very bad here, so I wanted to know what was your reasoning. If he's a calling station and you think you have the best hand, you have to raise. If there's a good chance he'll call you with a hand that you have beat, why wouldn't you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is, I don't know if I have the best hand on the turn- I have a very good hand, but how are you supposed to find out where you stand against a passive calling station? If I bet, she'll still call any range of hands here (top pair, two pair, set, lower flush, higher flush)- it gives me no new info. If I check and she checks behind, I can be fairly certain she doesn't have a big flush (as anyone passive will not be betting a set into a 4-flush board). She bets, telling me she HAS a flush. I call because my hand's too good to let go for a 1/4 pot bet, and
I plan a blocking/value bet on the river that will only get raised if I'm beat.

If she had checked the turn, I may have been worried about a full on the river and check/called a small/medium bet.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Hooks, $215 SNG- how\'s my line? (RESULTS)

I had posted results earlier but they were kind of hidden. Villan had 9h Qd to edge out my J high flush. Thanks for all responses.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had posted results earlier but they were kind of hidden. Villan had 9h Qd to edge out my J high flush. Thanks for all responses.

[/ QUOTE ]People play Q9o in raised pots in the $215s? Wow.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure TEPop84 and some other 200 regulars can chime in here, but my limited 200s experience tells me that you can still count on one or two live ones at most tourneys. I suppose the ones where I don't find them, it's me! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they do, mostly because they are terrible, but not always. If I was good at linking I could find that step 5 higher thread where giga calls a raise with that hand in level 1, then wins the pot with a bluff raise on the flop.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is, I don't know if I have the best hand on the turn- I have a very good hand, but how are you supposed to find out where you stand against a passive calling station? If I bet, she'll still call any range of hands here (top pair, two pair, set, lower flush, higher flush)- it gives me no new info. If I check and she checks behind, I can be fairly certain she doesn't have a big flush (as anyone passive will not be betting a set into a 4-flush board). She bets, telling me she HAS a flush. I call because my hand's too good to let go for a 1/4 pot bet, and
I plan a blocking/value bet on the river that will only get raised if I'm beat.

If she had checked the turn, I may have been worried about a full on the river and check/called a small/medium bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

But a turn bet here is simply for value. You think you have the better hand, so you bet. Of course you don't know for sure, but you still bet. Forget all that other stuff. She calls, fine. Check/check the river, see who wins.

(As opposed to the flop, where I can't be the slightest bit confident I'm ahead, so I don't bet.)

Simple, simple, simple against this type of player. You make your money here with value bets, not moves. It's almost like you are playing limit poker.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 9d ]
DarrenX checks.
jessie_river bets (125)
DarrenX calls (125)

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems really wrong to me. I dont see how I could justfiy putting more chips into this pot given the action, the board and your holding. Seems like an easy c/f for me. That said, if we can play outside of the box, I wouldnt hate a check raise on the turn either.