Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Jackson back in charge of the Lakers

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could any other coach have coached the Bulls to six titles?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some would've gotten seven or eight.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so given that the core players (specifically Jordan) broke up right after the 6th championship and there was no way that they were going to win in the 2 years where Jordan retired and came back mid-year.

I guess you could argue that a good coach could've coached the Bulls to a championship in the second year Detroit won their's. However both Horace Grant and Scottie Pippen were just in 3rd year of playing as pros. Possible but not entirely likely.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on now. Jackson is clearly one of the top 3 coaches of all time in the NBA. He gets his stars to play well on both ends of the court and he gets the most out of his bench players. If you can't play your best under Phil Jackson, you can't play your best under anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jackson will find a way to better utilize Odom, and Kobe should be a more efficient scorer under the more structured offense. I think Kobe will return to possible MVP player under Phil plus he will be one more year removed from his legal problems. Great move by the Lakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're living in a dream world. Kobe was only great becaue Shaq made him great. For proof, look at Dwayne Wade. Had you ever heard of him before last year? Me neither.

Phil has always had great players, so I'm not convinced that he's gonna get much out of the yahoos currently on the Lakers squad. Furthermore, why would Kobe want to even talk to Jackson (much less be coached by him) after Phil slammed Kobe in his book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I had heard of Dwayne Wade since i live in WI and I thought he was one of the most talented and explosive guards I had seen in college basketball in quite some time. He's certainly dominant more quickly than I thought he would be, but I'm not really surprised by his play.

Jackson is the best coach I have ever seen in getting the most out of his players. Obviously you don't agree, but he gets his players to play as a team, he gets them to play top flight defense, and he maximizes his role players. The guy is just a phenomenal coach and I'm sure he'll show that again over the next few years.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Name them.

Nobody could have done a better job, or as good a job, with the Bulls than Phil did.

[/ QUOTE ]
Rudy Tomjanovich
Larry Brown
Doug Collins
Don Nelson
Any Van Gundy
Pat Riley
Scott Skiles
Hell, Tim Floyd

Pick any coach in the NBA right now, actually. Phil Jackson is a good coach, but not near the all time greats. Before he replaced Doug Collins, he was a CBA coach only, and he got the reins to a Eastern conference finals team with a growing core and the best player in the game. His success with the Bulls was for obvious reasns, and his success with the Lakers was because he had 6 rings and was therefore able to get respect from the stellar players that were already there, which was really all they needed to succeed. Once the team wasn't ready-made for the championship, he bolted. His main skill is satitating the troop, which IS of value, but a great coach? I say no. I had always said I'd love to see how PJ would do with an average group of guys. Now we may find out.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You really think this lineup can compete in the West?

Chucky Atkins G 5-11 160 08/14/1974 South Florida '96

Tony Bobbitt* G 6-4 190 10/22/1979 Cincinnati '04 R

Tierre Brown* G 6-2 189 06/03/1979 McNeese State '01

Kobe Bryant G 6-6 220 08/23/1978 Lower Merion (PA) 8

Caron Butler F 6-7 217 03/13/1980 Connecticut '04 2

Brian Cook F 6-9 234 12/04/1980 Illinois '03 1

Vlade Divac C 7-1 260 02/03/1968 Serbia-Montenegro

Devean George G-F 6-8 240 08/29/1977 Augsburg '99 5

Brian Grant F 6-9 254 03/05/1972 Xavier (Ohio) '94

Jumaine Jones F 6-8 218 02/10/1979 Georgia '01 5

Slava Medvedenko F 6-10 250 04/04/1979 Ukraine 4

Chris Mihm C-F 7-0 265 07/16/1979 Texas '00 4

Lamar Odom* F 6-10 225 11/06/1979 Rhode Island '01 5

Jackson might coach 10 more victories outta that team next year, but barring a miracle they're still not going anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said 5 years. I'm thinking they will improve drastically next year -- obviously not enough to contend -- and that by season two they will be in the playoffs. After that it really depends on how they draft, especially this year, and how good they do in signing people with the midlevel exemption.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rudy Tomjanovich
Larry Brown
Doug Collins
Don Nelson
Any Van Gundy
Pat Riley
Scott Skiles
Hell, Tim Floyd

[/ QUOTE ]

This list is laughable. Larry Brown was a great coach that could never win a Championship until last year, and he had plenty of chances. Doug Collins couldn't get the Bulls to play, which is why Phil was brought in. Don Nelson! Phil would have easily won Championships with the group that Don had the last couple of years, but Don couldn't do it. The list gets worse as you go down the list. You list some good coaches, but none of them are as good as Phil Jackson.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Name them.

Nobody could have done a better job, or as good a job, with the Bulls than Phil did.

[/ QUOTE ]
Rudy Tomjanovich
Larry Brown
Doug Collins
Don Nelson
Any Van Gundy
Pat Riley
Scott Skiles
Hell, Tim Floyd

Pick any coach in the NBA right now, actually. Phil Jackson is a good coach, but not near the all time greats. Before he replaced Doug Collins, he was a CBA coach only, and he got the reins to a Eastern conference finals team with a growing core and the best player in the game. His success with the Bulls was for obvious reasns, and his success with the Lakers was because he had 6 rings and was therefore able to get respect from the stellar players that were already there, which was really all they needed to succeed. Once the team wasn't ready-made for the championship, he bolted. His main skill is satitating the troop, which IS of value, but a great coach? I say no. I had always said I'd love to see how PJ would do with an average group of guys. Now we may find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous, Daliman. Phil got Jordan to play a complete game and his emphasis on team play helped the Bulls to be a much better team offensively. The same holds true with his Lakers teams.

His emphasis on excellent defensive play, team communication and cohesion, and his ability to juggle the egos of some of the most talented men to ever play the game certainly puts him in the top rung of coaches.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:07 PM

Maybe, I still think they're in for several years of pain. How many superstars do you think want to play with Kobe?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe, I still think they're in for several years of pain. How many superstars do you think want to play with Kobe?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good point. I really think this draft is key to their rebuilding. They have the 10 pick and then two second round picks. This draft is absurdly deep so they could conceivably get a solid point guard at 10 and then some nice pieces with the other 2 picks.

Given the salaries already on the team, they won't be signing any superstars. But if Kobe reverts to the Kobe of 3 years ago and Odom plays like he did his last year in Miami, they already have a nice 1-2 combo. They really need a point guard and a defense first power forward so Kobe can play 2 and Odom can play 3 and they can move Butler to the pine.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:20 PM

i'm still up for shipping kobe out and trying to get Lebron.