Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: HU: Defense against min-raise every hand

Well, it depends on the stack size/blinds. If the blinds are smaller and you have some room to play, seeing a flop once in a while isn't that bad. One thing to note is that being out of position can actually benefit you. You have the right of first bluff at the pot on the flop. If your opponent is the type to fold when he misses and you bet into him, this is a winning proposition. Another thing to consider is a c/r all in when you catch a nice piece of the flop. In addition to picking up the 4 bets that go in preflop, you can also pick up his continuation bet unless he has a hand.

When the your stack:blind ratio is smaller, calling isn't as appealing. I recommend coming over the top enough to maintain/build your stack. The amount I come over the top depends on my estimation of his calling standards. Also, waiting for a real hand to come over the top is not a good idea. You'll get blinded away too often.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Re: HU: Defense against min-raise every hand

[ QUOTE ]

Say we're heads up in level 6. We start with t4000 each. You raise my blind to t600. I push, you fold. Now, I'm at t4600 and you're at t3400. I push the next hand, you fold. I'm at t4900, you're at t3100. You say you'll continue mini-raising. Okay, now you mini-raise again, I push, you fold. Now I'm at t5500 and you're at t2500.

Mini-raising with the idea that you'll fold to a push without premium cards is a losing strategy IMO. You'd be better off just pushing every hand from the button (which really is not that bad a strategy at high blind levels). Now when I have over 2:1 on you, I might be more selective and not let you double up easily. But I'm still pushing into you very often when I'm on the button. Mini-raising just twice in level 6 and then folding to an all-in leaks huge amounts of chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, but I believe I'd widen my calling range in this situation to be ace/king/possibly q or jack high and any PP. I also just realized we're talking about Heads Up tourny's, I've been thinking about how I play in SNG's heads up where I haven't faced much opposition using the min-raise strategy.