Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Visualizing Images In Your Head

This is a really interesting subject to me. I also am unable to visualize images in my head. In fact, my brain works pretty much exactly as how you just described...I can't see people's faces.

I once told this to an aural training teacher I had, and he had me do the following excercise: Picture complete blackness. Once you are able to do this, try to visualize a tiny red flame in the center. If you are able to do this, try and see if you can make the flame bigger.

What about musical pitches? I am a musician, and I spent many many frustrating years in aural training class because I have trouble hearing pitches in my head.

If you run a song through your head, do you only hear the rhythm and beats, or the actual outline of the melody?
Old 06-10-2005, 06:36 AM

lol this is really bothering you now isnt it danny
Old 06-10-2005, 06:45 AM

A friend once basically asked me the exact question in your post once. Same wording, same everything.

We were 7yo at the time.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:48 AM

I believe that great artists are the ones who can actually "see" objects in their mind. I am good at drawing from references, very good in fact. But I am amazed at other artists being able to draw from imagination alone.

This simple distiction I believe proves that some have the ability to visualize better than others.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you recognize people by the sound of their voice? it's a weird question, but I often forget what people (that I've met once or twice) look like, and I'm not sure who it is until I hear them talk. apparently this type of thing is indicative of being a primarily auditory learner, whereas most people are primarily visual.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

that is not how i identify anyone at all, in fact i didn't even know people did things your way. strange that people can be so different in this respect
Old 06-10-2005, 11:18 AM

So are you saying you've never daydreamed, Bruiser? You actually don't have visual thoughts? This is very interesting. I had no idea there were people like this.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:26 AM

I think you might be trying to hard or reading too much into what people are saying.
**Sorry in advance for the poker**
I find it hard to believe that at the level you play you never come home and discuss hands that happened with other people. I think this is the same thing as what you buddy is doing. You are visualizing that hand in your head.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:28 AM

i don't that's visualizing at all though, people are saying they can see images in their hand, when i go over a hand in my head that's not the way i'm thinking
Old 06-10-2005, 11:52 AM

Default visualization book

I couldn't visualize either my entire life, but a friend gave me a copy of THIS BOOK about a month ago and now I can visualize things very very easily. There is a part in it where you start by listening to something inside your head and you use the sounds to lead you to an image. Its too long to describe here but it is very well explained in that book. I'm going to reread it after I'm done with Harrington's book.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: visualization book

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't visualize either my entire life, but a friend gave me a copy of THIS BOOK about a month ago and now I can visualize things very very easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting. THIS book has some good ideas on methods and uses of visualization as well.