Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Acknowledgments from Professor, Banker,,,, -- Is Sklansky for Real? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mason Malmuth
Old 06-09-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Acknowledgments from Professor, Banker,,,, -- Is Sklansky for Real?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why this is a big deal at all (and not for the reason you're thinking)...

David has written - or has had a hand in writing - not only the three best poker books of all time (TOP, SSH, HPFAP) but also a slew of other quality books.

That pretty much makes him in terms of poker writing and theory The Man.

That being the case, I can't imagine the amount of requests he gets and the time asked of him to do all sorts of things.

He only has so many hours in the day so why wouldn't he look to maximize them?

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

You never miss an opportunity to fellate Sklansky publicly, do you?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your analogy is inappropriate because it is an absolute of respectable journalism never ever to pay for an interview. If word leaked out that an interview had been paid for, a huge scandal would ensue in the journalistic world. Therefore, no one in his right mind would ever ask for big bucks from the NYT....

[/ QUOTE ]

I am quite confident that no one asks book authors for payment for brief interviews, either over email or on the phone. I am even more confident in my analogy now. I am not sure how you are distinguishing it - I am saying that no one in their right mind who is writing a book like this pays for an interview. Same with newspapers. Moving on...

Essentially, you agree with me. You simply blame David's response on "David being David." I guess you can accept that kind of behavior toward other people. Why, I don't know, but you do accept it.

On the issue of whether it has come back to bite him...we'll never know what opportunities David misses because of his attitude. But I doubt that in his case, condescension and arrogance provide MORE opportunities.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But in any case, IMO Craig was WAY out of line in grousing about it in print.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain why? If David didn't want to be "outed" in this way, then maybe he shouldn't have responded in this way.

Why should Mr. Craig extend Sklansky the courtesy of hiding his arrogance? Sklansky doesn't seem overly concerned with how people perceive him, does he?

I simply don't get your logic. How is Mr. Craig more out of line than Sklansky? After Sklansky's initial response, what does Mr. Craig owe him?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:21 PM

Default That Favor To Mat

I just found out was LITERALLY lending him a shirt. Yet he implies otherwise in his words.

It doesn't bother me at all that he tells people I charge a lot to talk to them about poker when it is to their benefit. (I have a different attitude when someone asks me to help them with math or other subjects). It does bother me that he implies I am ungrateful.

I told him that I charge a lot of money for my time not to be impolite but rather because I thought he might pay me. The fact is he should have paid me because there are some serious inacuracies in his book. Notice the insane statement on page 154 regarding 40 percent. He is also wrong about many of the proclivities of the big players.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:52 PM

I find it ironic that those who feel the need to call out David, Mason, or me publicly for arrogant or impolite behavior always seem to do it in a rude and personally offensive way. They should be thankful for the anonymity of the Internet.

Here's the bottom line:

1. It's really none of your business what David said to someone requesting an interview.

2. It's really none of your business how David chooses to behave in general. You are NOT his mother. You are NOT his agent. You are NOT his representative in any way. If you have a personal beef with him, fine. But you don't.

3. You could do well to take your own advice by not behaving rudely and burning bridges. You think David loses opportunities by pissing people off. Why do you think that you aren't doing the same for yourself?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mason, why dont you just say it: David is a dick. It's his right to be that way, but it doesn't change that he is what he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you for posting this in David's forum. It's akin to me eating dinner at your house and then calling you a dick for not giving me dessert.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mason, why dont you just say it: David is a dick. It's his right to be that way, but it doesn't change that he is what he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you for posting this in David's forum. It's akin to me eating dinner at your house and then calling you a dick for not giving me dessert.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-09-2005, 02:17 PM

I liked the book, but thought it was a very cheap shot for the authors to quote David's email in the acknowledgements section. His email was clearly not intended for publication.

The authors should have simply written, "We asked David Sklansky to comment on the game, but he declined."
Old 06-09-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it ironic that those who feel the need to call out David, Mason, or me publicly for arrogant or impolite behavior always seem to do it in a rude and personally offensive way. They should be thankful for the anonymity of the Internet.

Here's the bottom line:

1. It's really none of your business what David said to someone requesting an interview.

2. It's really none of your business how David chooses to behave in general. You are NOT his mother. You are NOT his agent. You are NOT his representative in any way. If you have a personal beef with him, fine. But you don't.

3. You could do well to take your own advice by not behaving rudely and burning bridges. You think David loses opportunities by pissing people off. Why do you think that you aren't doing the same for yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

I took great care not to be offensive or rude in the way I pointed it out. If I was rude, that was not my intention. By the same token, however, you are attacking me. I find that just a tad ironic. But that's ok.

I am not "telling" anybody anything. I am commenting on someone's behavior that is relevant to this forum. I got an explanation from David, something I didn't expect or want (but which I appreciated), and I am content to leave it at that.

As for Mr. Miller's comments:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking, you may be correct. However, David, whether he chooses to be or not, is a public figure. And, I didn't obtain the information illegally or improperly - it was published in a book that I read. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, same point, except now, I wonder why it's any of YOUR business how I respond to David? Are you his mother? You're his friend/colleague, so in that sense, I guess you care, but I think David has explained himself quite well. I just happen to disagree.

I would have asked this question of ANYONE on this forum who responded to Mr. Craig (or anyone else) in this way. The fact is, I am only aware of how Mr. Sklansky responded to Mr. Craig. Therefore, I can only comment on that. If you responded to Mr. Craig in this way, I would include you in this group. In a larger sense, I am commenting on how we as people treat each other, and money isn't the bottom line to life. The guy asked for an interview. David, or anyone else, could have just said "no, i'm too busy," or "no, I don't give interviews." Instead, David said he would only respond for money. That is his choice. It is my choice to disagree with how he responded.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's unclear how you can call the Internet anonymous and then tell me I am burning bridges. If you don't know who I am, how can I burn a bridge?

I maintain that I was not rude or offensive. That was never my point. I was critical. I admit that. There is a big difference.