Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: My Party Poker account was hacked, lost $600

This makes me want to [censored] puke...

Sorry this happened to you man, hope you flop sets for a week and get it back...
Old 06-08-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, how many people just went and changed their poker passwords?

/raises his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
What did you change it to?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to say that they sent me an excel file with IP addresses that logged into my account and table transactions. And you can clearly tell that there is one different IP address that connected on Saturday.

This is the IP address: 4.239.186.7

If you go to a site like http://psacake.com/web/eg.asp
You can see where the IP originated from. I live in Oregon and the IP is from CO it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the company that owns the IP. The location would appear to be Audubon,NJ.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/city.ch?ip=4.239.186.7
Old 06-09-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

/raises his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bobbyiwantsmymoney
Old 06-09-2005, 01:19 AM

I got the ivestigation report from Party finally:
<font color="green">
&gt;Dear Brian,
&gt;
&gt;Thank you for registering at our site.
&gt;
&gt;Please find below, our findings with regards to the investigation that was carried on in receipt of your complaint.
&gt;
&gt;Our investigation allowed us to look into all your gaming transaction from the time you last accessed your account, your financial transactions and your log in and log out timings which would help us to build upon the details that you have reported to us.
&gt;
&gt;Brian, we are licensed and regulated by the Government of Gibraltar and adhere to their strict rules to ensure system trust, safety and reliability. Further our games are independently tested by a leading gaming software testing laboratory, iTech Labs, to ensure that the games operate correctly, are fair, their outcomes are not predictable and that the system is reliable, resilient and otherwise up to the highest standards of software integrity, including: change control mechanism recording, access control, fingerprinting the executables and regular monitoring of critical components of the system. In short, when playing at our site you may rest assured that we take your protection as well as our own seriously.
&gt;
&gt;PartyPoker.com payment system uses 128-bit encryption, certified by Thawte to ensure the highest level of privacy and confidentiality of your data.
&gt;
&gt;In this regard we wish to inform you that we have verified all logs of the IPs in your account. As you have also said, we have found that there were different IP/computer network(s) from where your account was accessed in the past. The Excel Sheet that you will find as an attachment to this mail bears the entire log-in and log-out details and the financial transactions.
&gt;
&gt;You will be able to match the data from both the Excel Sheets (one containing the IP addresses and the other containing the transactions) that are attached to this email. We do hope that this would clarify the issue. Now since your account has been accessed from your terminals alone, it is imperative that you protect your information from your end. In such a scenario it would be advisable not to save the password to the computer.
&gt;
&gt;I wish to bring to your attention Section 19 of the Terms and Conditions of Use. We are sorry about your funds being misused, but PartyPoker.com cannot take responsibility for a third party gaining access to your information other than it being a company error.
&gt;
&gt;http://www.partypoker.com/about_us/l...formation.html
&gt;
&gt;We thank you for your patience and co-operation in this matter.
&gt;
&gt;Contact us anytime, we are available around the clock to assist you with your account related questions and suggestions.</font>

I am fine with this but I want to hear that they are going to do something to the user that was dumped the money or the IP address of the person who got into my account. I guess I will call them and ask them about that.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not think that your account was "hacked." You probably accidentally gave out your password in some embarrassing fashion, i.e. a virus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was speaking in general when I said "Hacked". What I believe happened was that this person does this alot; he takes anybody’s username and then trys to login with a series of common passwords probably starting with ones similar to his user name (this is most likely what happened to mine, it was embarrassingly close to my username). It might take 100s of usernames before he successfully gets access to someone’s account. Maybe he has a program to do this for him.

That is my theory.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is the company that owns the IP. The location would appear to be Audubon,NJ.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/city.ch?ip=4.239.186.7

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I found the NJ address also. I didnt know what the difference was. Any way to find out exactly who it is? Would probably have to call the ISP huh? And they arent going to give that info out.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:44 AM

You would think that a company that big would have people who are able to find out who took your money and do something about it. Guess not. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

/raises his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No social engineering on 2+2 bobby.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:58 AM

Yeah, considering he has the hand histories it's a VERY hard task for the tech (non) support and fraud (non) investigation team.

I'm pretty sure my 9yr old grandson could figure it out fairly quickly.