Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: The advice presented in small stakes tends to be too:
Tight 23 38.98%
Loose 36 61.02%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2005, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Reading a \"pro\" at the WSOP

You hit top pair with a short stack. You have to call.

Anyone else suprised she bets out with a set here? When you know the CO is going to be putting the rest of his chips in. At least give the BB a chance to put a little more money in the pot. Then when it gets around to her she can pot it and shut out the BB.

Unless she has been very aggressive (and from what I've seen and heard of her she is not) this just does not make sense to me.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a silly question. You are playing in the WSOP and you don't know to call? She must have flopped a set since you are posting this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say I didn't know to call? It seems pretty obvious you missed my follow-up post to this. The main thrust of the post is that even "pros" make mistakes, as I personally think Kristy played this hand badly in not one but two spots, and it just hapened to work out perfectly for her. I was FLOORED when she rolled over 33, for reasons expressed in the follow-up post.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You hit top pair with a short stack. You have to call.

Anyone else suprised she bets out with a set here? When you know the CO is going to be putting the rest of his chips in. At least give the BB a chance to put a little more money in the pot. Then when it gets around to her she can pot it and shut out the BB.

Unless she has been very aggressive (and from what I've seen and heard of her she is not) this just does not make sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You read my mind.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:31 AM

And my mind. Houdini could not have escaped here. I think a fold post flop would have been miserable.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And my mind. Houdini could not have escaped here. I think a fold post flop would have been miserable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, as I said before, I promised myself I wouldn't call off all my chips versus a very good player with a hand like top pair unless I had a damned good reason, and I had about 4 damned good reasons here. But I WAS looking for reasons to fold, there just wasn't any feasible ones.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:46 AM

To tell you the truth I am a bit hot headed and I would have been pissed as hell to leave the tourney like this.

I mean how badly did she butcher this hand. If it was some random internet player playing the set this way we would be laughing our heads off.

If it was an actor overbetting his set...oh wait.

Edit to say these missed overcard type hands (with a slightly different flop and various different opponent actions) are tricky as hell to play in pl aren't they? Never quite figured out how to handle them when the stacks are in that ugly place.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To tell you the truth I am a bit hot headed and I would have been pissed as hell to leave the tourney like this.

I mean how badly did she butcher this hand. If it was some random internet player playing the set this way we would be laughing our heads off.

Edit to say these missed overcard type hands (with a slightly different flop and various different opponent actions) are tricky as hell to play in pl aren't they? Never quite figured out how to handle them when the stacks are in that ugly place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, the way things are running for me lately, I was surprised at her holding, but not much by the end result. I actually, said "Show me QJ Kristy." when I called, but she was not co-operative. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Anyways, I took it pretty well at the table, but was still pretty annoyed, and all my friends said it was brutal. As an aside, I thought it was pretty telling about the thought process of a few of the players, Kristy included, that when I asked how many chips she had left, she looked semi-incredulously at me and a few people chimed in "Dude, her bet out has you covered.", as if that was why I was asking.

Overall, of the 18 people or so that I played with in the WSOP, I noticed only one real "player",(Young Phan, who went out early), one decent player, Kristy, and an assortment of idiots. Pretty dissappointing.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, the way things are running for me lately, I was surprised at her holding, but not much by the end result. I actually, said "Show me QJ Kristy." when I called, but she was not co-operative. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Anyways, I took it pretty well at the table, but was still pretty annoyed, and all my friends said it was brutal. As an aside, I thought it was pretty telling about the thought process of a few of the players, Kristy included, that when I asked how many chips she had left, she looked semi-incredulously at me and a few people chimed in "Dude, her bet out has you covered.", as if that was why I was asking.

Overall, of the 18 people or so that I played with in the WSOP, I noticed only one real "player",(Young Phan, who went out early), one decent player, then Kristy, and an assortment of idiots. Pretty dissappointing.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:27 AM

that is about the easiest call ever.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, I thought it was pretty telling about the thought process of a few of the players, Kristy included, that when I asked how many chips she had left, she looked semi-incredulously at me and a few people chimed in "Dude, her bet out has you covered.", as if that was why I was asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are stupid.

[ QUOTE ]

Overall, of the 18 people or so that I played with in the WSOP, I noticed only one real "player",(Young Phan, who went out early), one decent player, then Kristy, and an assortment of idiots. Pretty dissappointing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dissapointing? That sounds like great news to me!