Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: let\'s look at a notable hand from 2/5 NL at the MGM grand

I tend to buy in short stacked as opposed to max - play mega tight and just double/triple up a couple times. I'll go all in on a hand I like but don't like doing it with $500 at risk - I'd rather do it with $250 and then I'll play the $500 more aggressively, knowing if I lose some of it I'm not really operating at a loss.

and well, from playing tourneys, I have learned I have a gift for playing the short stack

I actually was about average for the table - I was gonna do 200 but made it $240 cause I had two 20's in my wallet and it would make me more on par with the other stacks.

at Wynn I took $120 up to $560 - (and there's no max buyin there - I was playing a guy who bought in for a grand.)

RB
Old 06-08-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EP checks - I fire out a $25 probe and LP reraises it to $100 - EP calls and ....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you should usually fold, sounds like you were up against a couple of idiots though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I thought at first, but he fires 1/6th of the pot and gets raised not even pot size, and has almost no chips left, I think its set in stone after the preflop action that hero has to get it all in here

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is the way your going to play it, why not push the turn?

theres already enough money in the pot to draw idiots in with a draw and i hate being put to a decision on the river if the flush comes out

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at his stack size compared to the size of the pot. There is no decision required.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:51 PM

If your confident in your poker skills, you should not buy in short stacked, you cost yourself money when you hit a big hand. As far as this hand goes, and the fact that you are short stacked, I would raise more preflop (to $70/80), and push the flop. Since you are short stacked there is a better chance of a lesser hand calling you, so if your going to play short stacked take the advantages that come with it, one of which is easier decisions. Get all the chips in the middle as soon as you can, don't give people the odds to draw.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your confident in your poker skills, you should not buy in short stacked, you cost yourself money when you hit a big hand. As far as this hand goes, and the fact that you are short stacked, I would raise more preflop (to $70/80), and push the flop. Since you are short stacked there is a better chance of a lesser hand calling you, so if your going to play short stacked take the advantages that come with it, one of which is easier decisions. Get all the chips in the middle as soon as you can, don't give people the odds to draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... the biggest advantage to buying in short at NL games is that all ins are more apt to get called, so raise more PF and push flop, KK or KJ, possibly both, would call