Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Re: My Poker Goals - Summer 2005

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP: Homeschool? Ouch. I have newfound respect for you. (I wasn't homeschooled nor have I known anyone that is/was, but it sounds like a bitch).

[/ QUOTE ]

Spending one year in an American high school was enough for me to realize that every parent in the states should have homeschool (as I thought the schoolsystem was a complete joke).

[/ QUOTE ]

It is... I have no respect for our school system or any 'zero tolerance' policy. School administrators use these rules as cop outs for having to make hard decisions.

But, I could rant on that topic for quite a long time.

KO
Old 06-08-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I have a family, 2 kids, help my wife cook and clean up after dinner, teach my kids math (we homeschool), and read to my kids every night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kill 2 birds with one stone:
Teach the kids math using poker as an example while you play.
Read SSHE to the kids at bedtime.
You get your hands in, kids get educated, everyone's happy. And as a side effect your kids will probably bring home a WSOP bracelet in a few years.
J/K Good luck KO. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 11:47 PM

lol the height of obsession [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

yeah gl KO
Old 06-09-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right that the plan is good and I harped on the issue a bit. I guess my own perspective is I certainly don't want to treat poker like a "job" so the rigidity of the plan stuck out to me. You have explained a lot of positives for such a plan, however, for me, one thing I love about poker is the striking dissimilarity between it and regular work.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I don't consider poker a job, and I enjoy my time at the tables as well as studying/reading comparing notes with 2+2'ers. I've never been as 'into' anything else in my life. It feels natural, and good to play. Like I've found my 'calling', crazy as that sounds.

KO
Old 06-09-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

OP: Homeschool? Ouch. I have newfound respect for you. (I wasn't homeschooled nor have I known anyone that is/was, but it sounds like a bitch).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that what it took? lol...

My kids are 5 and 7, so the math I'm teaching them is '3+2=5' so it isn't that hard. Not like last year when I was teaching Algebra to highschoolers last year. And Chemistry.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (My wife's kids from a previous marriage + some other family's). But even then, it was just high school stuff so it wasn't that hard.

My wife does all the hard work. Finding the curriculum and that kind of thing.

KO

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I don't really respect any other poker players because I am the greatest. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, Atlanta private schools are really good. Just a consideration for high school.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep. I don't really respect any other poker players because I am the greatest. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, Atlanta private schools are really good. Just a consideration for high school.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and thanks..

KO
Old 06-09-2005, 12:41 AM

I went to high school in suburban Duluth area, which is just about as good as any private school short of a few like Westminster or Marist or Lovett, etc.

But yea, good goals. The important thing is that you set them. Now, you have something to base your achievements off of, instead of just playing poker and thinking "I guess I'm doing pretty well".

If this is "your calling" by any means, get serious. Get rakeback, if you don't already have it (don't recall what you told me in our discussion earlier). That's a huge bankroll booster.

It doesn't just have to be a grind at .5/1. Mix up some .5/1 shorthanded, some $11 SNG's, mix in other stuff, etc. You'll stay more mentally sharp that way and diversify your 'poker portfolio' so to speak.

Only move to 1/2 when you have the bankroll. It sounds silly, but swings happen to winning players. It won't be fun if you run into a downswing and suddenly you're gasping for air at the .5/1 levels.

Between here (.5/1) and where you can make good money (3/6), it's just about determination, focus, and resilience. You need to accept the fact that the money you are making is not overly significant, but through good patience and solid play you will get to those higher moneymaking levels soon.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:51 AM

Good luck KO. I'm on a quest to be multi-tabling 2/4 by the end of the summer.

Ok, I'll do it in August when my job ends until college starts up again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck KO. I'm on a quest to be multi-tabling 2/4 by the end of the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm on the same mission, and at this pace I'll be lucky to be alive at .5/1. Ugh.

It's a weird dilemma -- I probably need to step away for a day or two, but every day I don't play is less (potential) monies and less experience. I was hoping to play 10,000 hands at .5/1 and show the business but... heh... no.

-K
Old 06-09-2005, 01:10 AM

I just wanted to note that I have 40,000 hands in PT since January and all but about 1000 of them were clearing bonuses. I've made quite a bit more from the bonuses than I have playing .50/1. It's definately the way to go for micro-limiters.