Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: He\'s a dealer & he should have known better, right?

It drives me nuts when cardroom employees show their ass like this. I wouldn't play in a room where management lets their employees behave this way in the room. Why on earth should I?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The person dealing the game put out a weak admonition, but generally did a poor job protecting me and the other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my question (since I'm a dealer as well, and chances are, this took place in the cardroom I work in...): What can you do to protect the players in the game when that happens? 1st of all, I totally agree with you...it's a completely jackass move for someone to do what you said...especially if he works there AND knows better... Anyhow, I would feel that the dealer is in a crappy position...having to scold someone who he clearly knows and works with? I would think all you could do is announce the exposed card, and just hope that the players would jump on him for doing it... Poker is a game that puts player vs player...the dealer has a job to do as well: uphold the integrity of the game, and not do anything to purposely put that integrity in jeopardy... My thought is the same whether I'm dealing the game or playing it, and this what I'm thinking: the players should say something to the player, or get the floor immediately. What is the dealer supposed to do in this situation to another dealer/co-worker? Let me know what you guys think...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll start by saying that this was NOT in the MGM Grand card room. That said, I do think the person dealing the game had a responsibility (a delicate one, I'll admit, since it was co-worker) to warn the guy who exposed the ace, and to warn the others at the table that this was, in fact, against the rules. No such warning was given until I asked for the floor, and HE gave the initial ruling that exposing an ace was illegal. When this happened the next hand as I was racking my checks, floor went over AGAIN and warned the table sternly, saying whoever violated that rule next would be booted. That probably got the message across.

Tough situation, no doubt, but one that should never involve an off-duty dealer playing... as the title of my post suggests, these guys just ought to know better.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:47 AM

Thats why I was playing with a taj dealer last time I was at the trop. Not a taj dealer at the taj. Allowing employees to play in their own card room is asking for trouble. It reflects poorly on the cardroom.

Folding the card face up was very canadian thing to do. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Folding the card face up was very canadian thing to do. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't we at least get a capital "C" with that generalization? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 10:22 AM

The original poster "Misterking" did not use the word you are offended at. It was used by one of the responders.

Difficult situation. Sounds like it was handled properly the second time at least.

Ironman Dave
Old 06-08-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While it was certainly offly jewy of him to fold one card face up

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one offended by this remark?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I am too. WTF is wrong with people who still think/talk this way? Never ceases to amaze me. And he probably thinks it's no big deal of course ...
Old 06-08-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I am too. WTF is wrong with people who still think/talk this way? Never ceases to amaze me. And he probably thinks it's no big deal of course ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its good to be the white man!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a violation of etiquette, not rules. If there are others that have not yet acted exposing your hand is bad but I'm almost certain is legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this isn't a violation of "rules" what would be considered a violation of rules?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:19 AM

Not only was the dealer being a jerk by showing the Ac, but he may have been tipping off a regular as well. His motivation may have been slanted toward future tokes more than being a jerk this one time. Who knows? One more problem for playing in the same cardroom where you deal.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No