Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: KQo UTG. How\'s my line?

Since MP2 posted, I would consider raising this preflop from UTG.

I'd play it the same way you did on the flop. This isn't the place for a checkraise for the reasons you stated.

Bet the turn, it would be a shame to give SB and MP3 a free card in a 6.5 BB pot.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:54 PM

I sometimes drop KQo from UTG and UTG+1. In a loose game, I limp or raise it. Autoraising is bad - KQo from EP is about as situational as a hand can be.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes drop KQo from UTG and UTG+1. In a loose game, I limp or raise it. Autoraising is bad - KQo from EP is about as situational as a hand can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

U.G.H.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True... but the situation of "playing at microlimits" makes this an auto play. Raising is probably right better than 80% of the time.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:17 PM

I think you played this hand as well as you could.

The trouble with trying to c/r the flop is that you could easily end up giving a free card to drawing hands that are currently behind you to draw out on you.

By betting, it was certainly possible that MP3 could have raised and faced SB and BB with calling 2 bets, improving your chances of contesting the hand HU.

When MP3 calls your flop bet, I imagine that he is more likely hoping to catch an A, than slowplaying AA or JJ. Its also possible that he is calling with QQ,TT or 99 in the hope that you might be on a straight draw.

I think you had to bet the turn, because the risk of giving a free card (as you suspected) was too high. SB had shown no strength throughout the hand by just calling. And MP3 had shown no strength since his PF raise.

So I think the line you chose was probably the best one that you could have taken, without any reads.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U.G.H.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what that means, but if you disagree, I would expect at least some argument. There are certainly situations where you don't play KQo from UTG, however not so usual at micro-limits.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:15 AM

I disagree. If you are playing at a table where you feel the need to drop KQo UTG then you should:

1. Click the fold button
2. Unclick the AutoPost Blinds Button
3. Go find another table.

I think the hand is generally an autoraise when you are first to open the betting. You are only worried about domination if you get 3-bet, which should be rare. The hand stands up ok to several players if you flop a straight draw and has solid equity PF against a field of random hands.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U.G.H.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what that means, but if you disagree, I would expect at least some argument. There are certainly situations where you don't play KQo from UTG, however not so usual at micro-limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say "ugh" out loud. That's my sentiment when I hear people telling others to drop KQo at a micro game.

Certainly there are times not to play KQo. Those times aren't in the micro games. Hell, at the 2+2 game in Atlanta (arguably one of the toughest limit games in Atlanta), I still raise this UTG.

There is just too much equity in KQo to be folding this. You are missing out on enormous amounts of expectation. Run PokerStove simulations. Even if you put half the field at 30 VPIP (which is low for .5/1) you still have an equity edge. Moreover, your equity edge against 9 random hands is getting close to 1.5:1 !!!! If that's not an edge you want to exploit, I think you should be playing chess.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:10 AM

raise preflop, the rest is fine. You are not protecting, you are betting for value.