Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Need Serious Help With My Play

First, I know how you feel. Many times I've been tempted to write a post like this, because I've felt like this. Fortunately, before I do, I usually see someone that actually has posted, and realize how silly it is when looking at it objectively.

However, let's deconstruct your post and try and get something useful out of it:

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot pick out any leaks in my play

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, this looks like the beginning of a request for "leak detetection," but you follow it up with...

[ QUOTE ]
and everytime I pick up a big hand like AA, KK, QQ, it always seems to get cracked.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are you suggesting you shouldn't play these hands strongly? Of course not, this is just frustration. However, it doesn't help us find your leaks, it just encourages the flames.

[ QUOTE ]
I never seem to hit any of my draws, and I am beginning to fear playing hands like AK, AQ, or AJ in fear than opponents will outflop me. I fear committing all my chips and I am not the aggressive winning player that I used to be. I usually fold without the nuts when I am raised because I fear that my opponents already have me beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, here's something we can work with. You've lost confidence. Tournament play requires you to be swift and decisive with your moves. If you're tentative, you're going to lose.

Suggestion #1: Move DOWN! Play against players you know you can pwn (such as the 22s or maybe even the 11s). This will help to restore your confidence and make you able to make the plays you need to make.

[ QUOTE ]
I also feel like the unluckiest player in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Statistically, that's unlikely, but I understand how you feel. It's not that we don't care, it's just that we don't believe you.

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, I was in a $30 multi-table with 124 entrants. I was heads up at the final table and had a SURE WIN with two pair on the flop, Q4, with flop of Q54. My opponent had A2 and did not hit the 3, but hit runner runner to make aces and twos and win the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad beat story -- 'nuff said.

[ QUOTE ]
And I consistently get my money in with the best hand!! About 85% of the time I would say!

[/ QUOTE ]

So, lets assume that "getting your money in with the best hand" averages to a 60-40 advantage. This means you're a 60-40 fav 85% of the time, and a 40-60 dog the other 15. That means you're only a 55% favorite. It doesn't take much variance to crush your advantage.

[ QUOTE ]
It's as if I've forgotten how to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suggestion #2: Don't doubt yourself based on results. As other posters have said: POST HANDS. You'll never know what's broken until you do.

Suggestion #3: Find a buddy to swap full tournament histories with. Sometimes, you don't know what hands are the problem hands, and this can help find them.

[ QUOTE ]
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suggestion #4: Don't make another post like this unless you just like to be flamed. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Need Serious Help With My Play

Stop playing immediately.
You are on "infinite tilt".
If you feel that poker is literally depressing you, making you sad, etc, I would suggest that you stop playing for a couple of weeks at the least.

I suggest you don't touch any poker, but read some poker books, watch a couple of poker movies/tournaments, just relax and get back the ambition and love for the game you once had, if you ever did.

Any time the game makes me feel horrible, I just go back to the things that made me love the game in the first place, trying to remember what it was that attracted me.