Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: My first downswing(No Content)

A few nights ago I was tearing up this one table- catching runnner runner and backdoor crap like you wouldn't believe. I quadrupled my buy in at the table.
Sad thing was, I typed :Man, tomorrow I probably won't be able to catch a card for my life.
Next day I play and immediately bust out my 2 tables that I was playing. I think AA KK QQ all lost to undercards making two pair or better. It was sick!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a 200BB one at 1/2 6max, and a 100BB one at 2/4 at the beginning of may .. the thing is, a good chunk of it is always from bad play, not variance, at least for us non-experts

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur.

I think 6-max though has decent exeptions to this rule. But I agree if we are talking full ring here. Like my 80BB downswing, I know at least 25-35 of that was bad play at the tail end there. (just went on a 65BB upswing today though at 5/10....yessssssss). All said and done if I kept my composure and played my best game Id only be down 45-50BB if that, not to bad.

Also Id like to point out, in the new issue of cardplayer Roy Cooke states hes never been anywhere near a 200BB downswing. Although. if you are pushing marginal edges u will have much higher variance.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:19 AM

Here is a link:

Roy Cooke on BR requirements

Pushing marginal edges or not, this man is golden at the poker table. Hell he's supported himself 16 years at the tables.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a link:

Roy Cooke on BR requirements

Pushing marginal edges or not, this man is golden at the poker table. Hell he's supported himself 16 years at the tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what style of play is roy cooke talking about where the variance is lower. Does this mean he plays more weak tight? Do you think not pushing marginal edges is better for a pro since it has less variance?
Old 06-06-2005, 03:25 AM

I definitly do not think he is weak tight. I think he might forgo pushing more of the tiny marginal edges and exploits and pushes the big ones more than anything. Read his book Real Poker II -- or just go through some of his articles on where he plays his hands.

I think I might email him and ask actually, to be playing 16 years and never have a 200bb downswing is impressive either way.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:28 AM

I think he does say in his book, that he knows when to push and such, but there are situations that are very marginal that he will in fact forgo, his statement was "I didnt build my bankroll pushing small edges, but by pushing big ones" I think thats what it was, its been awhile since i went through it.