Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: I am so sick of these statements...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it has become hard for skilled players to navigate their way through such a big field without hitting a "landmine".

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
reduce the fields to a more reasonable number so that the tournaments don't become complete lotteries

[/ QUOTE ]

This are ubiquitous thoughts that are repeated ad naseum this time of year.

Let's see if we can employ some qualitative debunking of this sentiment...

Final table for Event #2, 2005 WSOP.

Seat 1 - Richard Boutwell: No reported prize money;
Seat 2 - Scott Fischman: $866,938 since Sep. '02 (2 Bracelets);
Seat 3 - Devilfish: $2,732,946 since '93 (1 Bracelet);
Seat 4 - Allen Cunningman: $1,482,037 since '98 (1 Bracelet);
Seat 5 - Charlie Huff: No reported prize money;
Seat 6 - Randy Edmonson: $14,700 since '91 (O Bracelets);
Seat 7 - Can Kim Hua: $1,259,224 since Sep. '02 (0 Bracelets);
Seat 8 - Liz Lieu: No reported prize money;
Seat 9 - An Tran: $880,918 since '89 (1 Bracelet, 19 final tables).

In sum: 5 Bracelets, $7,000,000+ in tournament prize money, and 6 people who have cashed at prior WSOP events. Of the 3 players with no reported tournament cashes (per the Hendon Mob), we have NO IDEA what their poker background/skills are like so any suppositions on that issue lack credibility.

This in field of 2300+ at the lowest buy-in (and therefore likely the fishiest) NL Hold 'em event at the Series.

Seems to me that the cream has risen to the top. Maybe you aren't familiar with the names or accomplishments, but that doesn't make them unworthy of being there (which is precisely what terms like "crapshoot" and "lottery", etc. imply).

Of course, why should I think that anybody on this board will give props where they are due. After all, we would all have Bracelets by the boatload if some donkey hadn't sucked out on us, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You make some fantastic points. Well-written.

Now stop writing your posts in all bold typeface. We can read your well-thought-out post in plain typeface just as well.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: A Simple Solution to the crowded WSOP

[ QUOTE ]
Is it not true that the structure of tournaments what make them considered to be elite and not the buy in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both.

I'm not arguing that the current tournament structure is insufficient. (Another topic for another thread?) I'd just like to see a more concentrated field, and higher stakes that's all. I think this would definitely up the ante . It would be interesting what types of players would/could show up to play at the super-buyin limits.

[ QUOTE ]
For 'elite' type tournaments we already have the $25k WPT championship...and other stuff like the NBC HOC, ESPN's tournament of champions, the PPT, PSI and PSI2 (with it's ridiculous blind format).
All of these tournaments are heavy on the 'name' and 'elite' players and much lighter (if any at all) on the no-name online-qualifiers.

The public has already spoken on these...and they have repeatedly shown that they just don't care as much about these more 'elite' events.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sold. These events aren't "life changing" for any of the professionals involved. Maybe I'm a little sadistic, but I'd like to see stakes that would make the super-pro's sweat a little blood when calling a bluff, or putting in a big raise. To me, this is the essence of poker.

Again, I repeat the fact that this is what sustained the WSOP all of these years. The WSOP has lost its lustre for me, and really doesn't seperate itself from any other of the tournaments mentioned above anymore. WSOP is just a cliche, no longer living up to its history.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm one of a few thousand 'newbie' online-qualifiers who will be playing in his first ever WSOP this year and I'm obviously thrilled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice! I think I speak for all of 2+2 in that I'll be rooting for you! I hope this forum can bring back another bracelet from the WSOP main event. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: I am so sick of these statements...

[ QUOTE ]
all bold typeface

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I fixed that.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: A Simple Solution to the crowded WSOP

What about the televised events, ESPN does show a few of the other events and those would have to be where the main event is so that they don't have to set up all over town.