Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: WSOP Event #2 Updates

Maybe he entered to have an article worth reading for next week. I think he mentioned he was going to be there for the entire length of the WSOP (although I doubt he's playing that many events). Plus, he did win a tournament at Captain Cook's, maybe he thinks that's going to lead him to bigger and better things.

NOT!

Kevin...
Old 06-03-2005, 04:58 PM

I'm pretty sure it would have to be an internet broadcast only. However, having dealt with ESPN and Fox in the past, they are VERY protective of what they own the rights to.

Best way would be to find players who will talk about their table and how they busted. Who's playing well etc. That would sound good. So you would have to start somewhere around level three to make it interesting.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:03 PM

Daniel Negreanu and Jennifer Harman are both out already.

As is Erik Seidel.

It seems that Antonio Esfandiari is also out as he is walking away.

Edit: My source for any updates is pokerpages unless stated otherwise.

Lori
Old 06-03-2005, 05:07 PM

From CardPlayer: Lindgren, Greenstein, Flack, Ivey, Grinder, David Pham, and current POY leader John Phan are out as well.

Kevin...
Old 06-03-2005, 05:11 PM

Sounds like Negreanu and Greenstein can get started on their heads up challenges a little early today.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:16 PM

WOW. OK, maybe I'm a total newb, but I'm amazed at the list of top pros that are already out. The only explanation I can think of is that they were taking a "get big or go home" approach, because they have more +EV alternatives at this time (side games, the "big" game or some such, single table sats, etc.)

Well, at least Helmuth's still in, assuming he still hasn't shown up yet, and hasn't blinded out [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Bob
Old 06-03-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WOW. OK, maybe I'm a total newb, but I'm amazed at the list of top pros that are already out. The only explanation I can think of is that they were taking a "get big or go home" approach, because they have more +EV alternatives at this time (side games, the "big" game or some such, single table sats, etc.)

Well, at least Helmuth's still in, assuming he still hasn't shown up yet, and hasn't blinded out [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's really no different if a pro goes out in the first hour or just misses the money. Surviving for a few hours by avoiding confrontation isn't worth anything to them (or most people, for that matter); you need to be willing to get your chips in there when you think it's +EV to do so. Of course, this means that sometimes you go home quickly when things don't work out so well, but it's the right way to play.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:23 PM

From what I heard, Hellmuth doubled up off of an RGP'er. AK against QQ...flop AKJ, Turn A, River A. Not sure when the money went in.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:30 PM

On RGP, he said he went all in on the turn.

Kevin...
Old 06-03-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's really no different if a pro goes out in the first hour or just misses the money. Surviving for a few hours by avoiding confrontation isn't worth anything to them (or most people, for that matter); you need to be willing to get your chips in there when you think it's +EV to do so. Of course, this means that sometimes you go home quickly when things don't work out so well, but it's the right way to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument, I understand all that. My thought was that this was a lot of top pros to be out so early. They all had the situation you describe, and all lost? Yeah I guess it's possible, but I was thinking that for this many to be out so soon, that it was, instead, hyper aggression, aimed at building a big stack early or getting out of Dodge. Perhaps you are correct, though, and this is simply a function of SO many top pros being in a tourney that several well-known names will be out early.

Regardless, it makes for fascinating reading!

Bob