Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Schoonmaker \"Don\'t Quit Your Day Job\" (yeah, it\'s long)

In his book "The Psychology of Poker", he has an appendix B entitled "Don't Quit Your Day Job". In there, he lists several reasons why he thinks going pro is a big mistake for most people. I would like to list these and then give why I think those don't apply to me, and then you fine posters can tell me if I'm missing it or what.

1. You probably won't make it.

"Unless your are an excellent player with a big bankroll and extreme discipline, you haven't got a chance" He goes on to add that most big names have other jobs to supplement their income. If they have to do that, why makes you think you can make it full-time?

My answer: I don't think he's considering the drastic impact of being able to play 8+ tables online and also get rakeback for all those tables. The rakeback alone for that many tables 40hrs/day is more than the average income in America.

2. There's little money and no future.

He talks about how many professions make much more than the big names, and many pros have had to go on to get "regular jobs".

My answer: This book was written in 2000, so I think poker was really starting to spread it's wings in society. Again, I'm not sure he's taking online into consideration, but the future of online poker or rakeback, I think, is something to seriously consider. I'm not sure I have an answer that I'm happy with for either topic, but it's hard to imagine things changing in the very near future.

3. It's extremely unhealthy.

He talks about a large amount of hours sitting in uncomfortable chairs, smokey rooms, no exercise and a diet of unhealthy food.

My answer: Again, I think he's talking about people playing live. I'm playing at home, in a big leather chair, no smoke, any healthy food I want, and the opportunity to take plenty of breaks for exercise. Exercise will be a part of my regular, daily routine. There's a YMCA down the road from my place, and my plan is to get a membership and bet there at least 3 times/week, which is more exercise then I get now in my cubicle all day.

4. It's a dreary life.

He talks about long hours at the table, rejected by society, eating at the table, stress of unpredictable income, etc.

My answer: Again, I think all of these relate to someone just playing live. I think I answered all these in the other point he made.

5. It's a great "second job".

I won't argue with that. My why have 2 and work 60 hours/week, when I can just have 1 and not have a strict work schedule, report to someone else, have stress and deadlines at my current job doing something I really don't like that much anyway.

Why I want to go pro:

1. I like poker - a lot.

2. I'm completely convinced that I can easily make twice what I make at my current job.

3. Work for me has never offered any fulfillment through "contributing to something" or anything like that. I've only ever had a job for 1 reason - pay bills.

4. I think my life will actually have more balance when I'm working on my own. I'm extremely disciplined, and I'm able to make a schedule now that fits things I want to do, like exercise and so forth.

5. If something did go wrong, I have a degree, speak several languages, etc. that stack my resume. I don't think I'll have a tough time getting another good paying job if I don't want to play pro anymore or if something goes wrong.

Does all this make sense?