Water 60 57.69%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Walmart: Yay or Nay?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Errr...
http://winningargument.blogspot.com/...r-america.html

Just googled. Is this what everyone is complaining about??? If so, don't we need new laws?? I'm sure walmart isn't the only company to take advantage of this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't even talking about this stuff.

The main thing is that there are a billion reasons that Wal-Mart is a cancer on our economy, And there are very few legit arguments for it being a good thing.

"I like it because it's pretty cheap and has the stuff I want" is about the only thing it has going for it. It's really a marvel of corporate evolution. All you have to do is sucker the consumer, and you get all the money, power, and can do whatever you want.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

...totally agree, Duke.

Most folks just can't get past the part that there's more to it than just.....'they have the best price'.

They are a blight on the retail economy of this country. Their business practices would make you vomit if you had to deal with them.

...It will all come out in the wash somewhere down the line......parasitc green pond scum of the worse kind.

May their management rot it hell........
Old 05-30-2005, 06:01 PM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Walmart. Cheap candy, the best water, and cheap DVDs and CDs...what's not to like?
Old 05-30-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The main thing is that there are a billion reasons that Wal-Mart is a cancer on our economy, And there are very few legit arguments for it being a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I googled, so if you have some pertinent info, I would like to hear about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's some:

The Wal-Mart You Don't Know

~D
Old 05-30-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Errr...

Just googled. Is this what everyone is complaining about??? If so, don't we need new laws?? I'm sure walmart isn't the only company to take advantage of this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I like it because it's pretty cheap and has the stuff I want" is about the only thing it has going for it. It's really a marvel of corporate evolution. All you have to do is sucker the consumer, and you get all the money, power, and can do whatever you want.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

...totally agree, Duke.

Most folks just can't get past the part that there's more to it than just.....'they have the best price'.

They are a blight on the retail economy of this country. Their business practices would make you vomit if you had to deal with them.

...It will all come out in the wash somewhere down the line......parasitc green pond scum of the worse kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does government in a FREE CAPITALIST economy have an obligation to protect mom and pop companys that are not suave enough to compete in the modern marketplace?

Where do you draw the line between free enterprise and communism? I believe that if government were to interject to protect a company that is inefficient just because it was there first and just because is not a part of big business then we would be crossing a thin red line that has never worked in the past and will never work in the future.

Gd Bless the USA and Gd bless Wallmart!
Old 05-30-2005, 06:04 PM

South Park covered this pretty well.

Anways, I like Walmart it allows me to things I want with expending the fewest amount of resources. I don't really care what it does to anyone else.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anways, I like Walmart it allows me to things I want with expending the fewest amount of resources. I don't really care what it does to anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is my opinion too. Screw everyone else. I actually wanted to get a job there this summer but my brother wouldn't let me (he's trying for there lol).
Old 05-30-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if it wasn't walmart, it'd be something else. i don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. And, that's the reason I think Walmart is so great.

I remember reading (or seeing on TV) a report that Wal-Mart was responsible for about 9% of the increase in the efficiency of the U.S. economy in the 1990's. That's extraordinary.

Wal-Mart has changed the way America does business. It's forced business to get the absolute maximum out of it's resources and passes those savings on to consumers (minus their own profit). In the long run, that's an enormous benefit for America in the world. The fact that it creates some short term stress and problems is insignificant to me.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:09 PM

Wallmart abuse (next-to) slave-labour in East Asia to the max which allows them to deliver products at prices that their competitors cannot match. This is the true face of globalization and liberalism.

Jobs move from the US to East Asia. The economies in these regeions benefit tremendously and USA is paying the price. Maybe this is a new form of solidarity...
Old 05-30-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pure capitalism can't work, because consumers are idiots. That's why the government steps in to control monopolies.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

When governments step in, it is usually surrounding monopolies on the supply side, where Wal Mart is actually a monopoly is on the buying side. They have so much buying power, they can dictate pricing. The merger between Gilette and P&G is basically a reaction to Wal MArt in order to shave a few tenths of %'s off their costs in order to be able to supply Wal Mart profitably.

Wal Mart blows and I try to avoid it at all costs.

I am also a big believer in strengthening local economies. I like supporting local businesses that will reinvest their profits back into the local economy.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Errr...

[/ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

...totally agree, Duke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does government in a FREE CAPITALIST economy have an obligation to protect mom and pop companys that are not suave enough to compete in the modern marketplace?

Where do you draw the line between free enterprise and communism? I believe that if government were to interject to protect a company that is inefficient just because it was there first and just because is not a part of big business then we would be crossing a thin red line that has never worked in the past and will never work in the future.

Gd Bless the USA and Gd bless Wallmart!

[/ QUOTE ]

...my point of view has NOTHING to do with government. My bitch is not with government....it's with selfish consumer morons who can't see the forest for the trees........Who then allow themselves to be conned by sociopathic profiteers.

p.s. You and dublya can both rot in hell....have a nice day.