Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Reasonable bankroll for the Party 30/60?

[ QUOTE ]
good to know I'm the not the only one who dropped 10k in a short period of time in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucky for me, I've actually run well so far. but I know I'll get my turn in the barrel too. So I'd like to be prepared when it happens.

-Scott
Old 05-30-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say the absolute max is somewhere between 1.5-2. That said, I'd keep 25-30 in my account if I wanted to be assured that my br never dropped below 12(or at least rarely). I recently had a run where I cashed out 10k or so after a huge run, had about 24 in my account, and was down to 12 in my account the next day.

I am thinking around the same number. One thing that I think needs to be factored in is at what amount is your play affected? I think if my account ever fell below 10K I'd be nervous. below 8K and it'd start to affect my play. So I'd like to be able to hit a bad streak and still not fall below that amount.

looks like I'm going to plan for 30, and go from there.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

That should be fine. Also, please never say my name at the tables again? Seems like a pretty stupid thing to do.
-James
Old 05-30-2005, 02:10 PM

I said "Hi James", not "Hi James282". You could be anyone names James. People say "Hi Scott" to me all the time.

but I'm happy to refrain.

-Scott
Old 05-30-2005, 02:13 PM

NP, but not many James' on this site and you had just said the thing about "trouty table" so it seemed like it wouldn't take much brain power to figure it out it was me. No hard feelings though.
-James
Old 06-12-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Bumping for update

This may seem like a dull thread to bump but I'm thinking a little bit more about game selection and wonder how people have been doing in the 'new' Party 30/60. Is it still the consensus that it's much tougher than the old 15?

I think the 30/60 blind structure is enormously to my advantage, but it's also been to my advantage to get hit in the head with the deck. After eight mediocre to poor months at the 15 (110K hands, 0.24 BB/100!!!!! -- no mystery why I haven't been posting, too embarrassed at how I play when sleep-deprived), in the last month since moving up I've made 24K. (And no, I have NOT been playing above my bankroll; I had a good summer last year.)

3.31 BB/100 over 12K hands. VPIP 18.3, PFR 12.4, W$SD 55.08. My stats overall are very similar to the 15/30 ones, although I think I have been snapping off more bluffs recently.

I'm not asking anything so stupid as 'is this sustainable'? Obviously 3.3 is not sustainable. And obviously 12K hands isn't much. (So don't reply if that's all you have to say!) But I am wondering whether by the standards of this game I've been running insanely good, or just eccentrically good, because I'll be playing in a new setting soon and might like to decrease my variance a bit. (Higher probability of being distracted, and so on.)

What's the buzz? IS the 30 tougher than the 15? because it certainly hasn't seemed that way to me. There's a little less postflop passivity but I'm still seeing quite a few VPIPs above 26. And the SB size difference cuts way down on the pseudo-schooling that I just hated at the 15/30.

All thoughts about this scenario are welcome. Also, comments on stats of mine that you have would be great. It's a good time of year for soul-searching and I feel more motivated than usual now that I'm making money again. I certainly don't want to leak it back; and might be keen to drop down for a while to make sure I'm sound on all fundamentals.

But the game sure seems good! and geese that lay golden eggs aren't to be taken for granted.

JimmyV
Old 06-12-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Bumping for update

So you played 100,000 hands at .24bb/100 and you decide to move up in limits?

Good god....
Old 06-12-2005, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the nice welcome back to the forums.

Generally I know when I'm playing well, and in general I've been playing okay, and riding out tough downturns.

But in a year I'll be an improved poker player, and you'll still be a jerk.

Cheers --
Old 06-12-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Moreover

.24 (60) > .24 (30)

QED
Old 06-12-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But in a year I'll be an improved poker player, and you'll still be a jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'll be a .25bb/100 winner?

Seriously though, did you think about working on your game at all during the last 8 months? I mean, I know I'd go pretty insane if I was so stagnent.

Maybe try rereading some books or posting some hands
Old 06-12-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know I'd go pretty insane if I was so stagnent.

Maybe try rereading some books or posting some hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was veryy tough emotionally to tread water for so long. And I should have posted more hands, but I think didn't realize that people were taking a lot of shots at me -- and not seeing the results didn't recognize my turn folds as mistakes.

Thanks for a more sympathetic second post. I'll get around to posting a hand or two soon.

The other factor is that it's easier to work on my game in the summer, since my job is on an academic calendar.

JimmyV