Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: wtf...is this legal?

turn chat off...
Old 05-27-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing in a $100 HU on stars today, and the other player, named Glassworks, asks for $10.50 if he loses. Jokingly, i say "yes" just to [censored] with him. Anyway, I win. Two hours later i check my history and it turns out $10.50 from my account was sent to him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Once principle of contract law is that there must be "consideration," a technical term meaning there must be something in it for both sides. Otherwise, the contract is usually not enforced.

If you would not have gotten anything if you had lost, there was no consideration, and it was a promise instead of an agreement. If so, PokerStars should not have taken the money from your account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, one could argue that there was "consideration," assuming it was believed by both (even if not spoken) that the opponent was a weaker player whose agreement to play against our poster was more beneficial to our poster in the long run vs. the game not taking place.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:00 PM

Just be thankful you didn't agree to a $100 bill! Lick your wounds, learn a lesson here and move on.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:23 PM

Personally, I wouldn't move on. That is rediculous. As a matter of principle I would tie up their customer service with angry emails threatening to do everything in my power to deter business from their site. It will make them prove to you how much they care about that $10.50. Usually, when poker support sees that you are angry and are willing to bother them for an extended period of time to get your way, they will go out of their way to make you happy. In a situation like this, they will probably do it quickly because this is rediculous and illegal. It's not worth it to them to lose your business over a measly 10 bucks. Press for a refund.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:35 PM

From everything I know about 'Stars and from talking with people who have worked and do work there, this is likely to be an outright lie.

Post a screenshot of your Stars transaction log, if there's a xfer there, I'll maybe start to buy this.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jokingly, i say "yes" just to [censored] with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I'm concerned, you deserve it. Stars approved the transfer that you agreed to, "just to [censored] with you"

Maybe you learned a lesson to not be a douche at the tables.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:56 PM

A few random thoughts:

1. This is pretty funny.

2. You should feel lucky it was only $10.50.

3. What would Stars have done if you had agreed to give him $1000 if he lost? And if they wouldn't have made that transfer where between $10.50 and $1000 do they draw the line?
Old 05-27-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is the players' responsibility to determine total agreement. Chat records alone will not necessarily validate an agreement.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly, the official pokerstars rules state that chat records cannot enforce deals.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, Stars says that chat will not necessarily validate an agreement, not that it cannot.

Personally, I think it's great that Stars support helps players make deals. Sorry you lost $10.50.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:40 PM

Yeah, I'm going to have to call BS on this along with dids. Let's see an email from support.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:45 PM

Yes, Stars allows chopping of tournament cash. You agree to a chop, and you stand by it. Move on.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]