Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Big draw

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I am certain you are correct because I am quite certain you play better than I do. However I am still not quite seeing why the raise is bad here. In the example hand you gave if everyone folds you no longer have an equity edge. In this hand our hero likely has an equity edge even heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't get us wrong, raising is +EV play, but calling is even more +EV.

[ QUOTE ]
In addition the line hero took ended up getting 6 BB in the pot on the turn. If he had just called and everyone called we still would have only ended up with 6 BB in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should also consider how much of the money that went into the pot on the flop that was from Hero (in %).
Old 05-26-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I am certain you are correct because I am quite certain you play better than I do. However I am still not quite seeing why the raise is bad here. In the example hand you gave if everyone folds you no longer have an equity edge. In this hand our hero likely has an equity edge even heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't get us wrong, raising is +EV play, but calling is even more +EV.

[ QUOTE ]
In addition the line hero took ended up getting 6 BB in the pot on the turn. If he had just called and everyone called we still would have only ended up with 6 BB in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should also consider how much of the money that went into the pot on the flop that was from Hero (in %).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I was going to say. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point. Thanks for helping me work through this.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I have learned something from this.

/twang
Old 05-26-2005, 07:13 PM

preflop is fine. i'd just call the flop though. pot is too small to worry about cleaning up outs.

cap the river. its not like you can get 5-bet.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:28 PM

I have no problem with limping with KXs from the button, with three limpers in ahead, and planning on a 4th when BB checks, and maybe a 5th if/when SB completes.

On the flop, I don't think I raise after CO bets, making it 2 back to all your callers, though, and you lost 3 of them. I like the idea of "ram and jam" (per Abdul Jalib) but this kind of defeats the purpose, which is to inflate the pot when you have a pot-equity edge.

On the turn, a brick falls and all check. OK.
I don't think I cap the river, since I'm not drawing to the nut flush. The way SB acts, he could easily also be drawing to the flush and and his 3-bet says he may have the Ace of hearts in his hand.

Just my $.02 worth...

bc