Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Results: Live 5/5NL Hand - Comments?

...BB leads out $75, I check-raised him to a flat $300, he pushes covering my remaining $2500.

I think about it for about 30 seconds and say "nice hand, sir" as I table K6. The rest of the table and additional onlookers are uhhhhing and ahhhhing..."how can you lay that down?", etc, etc...when Villain thoughtfully decides to table A6o. More oooohhhs, and aaahhhhss...blah, blah, blah.

Can you say "permantly burned in mental note on player x"?

Additionally, I like to think that laydown helped my meta-game a bit, allowing me to scoop smaller pots with marginal hands throughout the rest of the afternoon.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Live 5/5NL Hand - Comments?

[ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding me with the check/call on the turn? Given no reason to think you're beat, you're trying to get chips in the pot with trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think leading out is best, followed by check calling, followed by check raising, followed by check folding [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

A check-raise really defines your hand and there's a ton of people in preflop - you could be easily beaten here on the turn - no way I'm going to be able to extract a ton of value from a worse hand unless the player sucks (TAG does not tell me he sucks). I feel a lesser hand may call - but you can extract more on the river anyway.

Also, check / calling isn't just a good play if scared - it's another way to extract value from a worse hand (ie - some type of bluff). check / calling is a good line vs. very aggressive opponents. I don't see how a CR on the turn is a good play.

BTW - villain played this hand horribly I think.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Results: Live 5/5NL Hand - Comments?

[ QUOTE ]

I think about it for about 30 seconds and say "nice hand, sir" as I table K6. The rest of the table and additional onlookers are uhhhhing and ahhhhing

Additionally, I like to think that laydown helped my meta-game a bit, allowing me to scoop smaller pots with marginal hands throughout the rest of the afternoon.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but I seriously doubt that showing this laydown was +EV. It seems ego-driven to me.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but I seriously doubt that showing this laydown was +EV. It seems ego-driven to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you're right. Maybe it didn't help my game at all to show. So how do you think showing my hand in that particular spot was -EV?

And as for the "ego" thing...I won't rule it out. I haven't really thought about it in that way. It happend very quickly and I thought I was giving my opponent information that maybe I could leverage later. If he is aware that I am laying down strong hands to him, maybe in later confrontations he will be more likely to push additional chips in the pot with marginal hands.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:11 PM

so what is the conclusion to this? What did you do? Did he show his hand?