Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Party of obstructionists strikes again

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but when the ignorant Repubs block scientific research it is God's will...

I'd call it a double standard, but that would undermine the Repubs stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ]

So being a free trader means one has to abondon all of his/her religeous beliefs otherwise they are stupid?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try reading The Road to Serfdom by Hayek and then rethink that position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Hayek but that book is not much of an empirical analysis. Many other people have tried to assess more rigorously whether economic liberalization might cause democracy, but none have convincingly demonstrated a causal relationship.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but when the ignorant Repubs block scientific research it is God's will...

I'd call it a double standard, but that would undermine the Repubs stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hitler did a lot to advance scientific research also. Have you no standards for controlling scientific advancement?

Sometiems I wonder if liberals are truly lacking of conscience, or just ignorant.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:08 AM

Hi, you're now ignored. Happy trolling.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:38 AM

Sam,

I was reading last night and saw a reference to a study that showed the importance of the link between democracy and economy. Ill try to find it online and post it later. I do find it hard to believe that you dont think the two are related though. I know that isnt exactly what you stated but I assumed an inference to the connection was involved.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:36 AM

The most flagrant piece of obstructionism was the Democrat reaction to Bush's proposal for progressive indexing of SS. There are two possible solutions to the SS problem:
1) Raise Fica Taxes (The Worst by Far since the FICA surplus is the biggest scam in history).
2) Lower Benefits

One of these two must be done to correct the shortfall. President Bush proposed the second. Moreover, he proposed that the people who would recieve lower benefits would be the wealthy. He basically caved into Democrats and gave them what they wanted. But then Democrats said to themselves: "No, he proposed what we wanted. Now we can't oppose him. Guess we'll just have to oppose our own policies."
Old 05-24-2005, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The most flagrant piece of obstructionism was the Democrat reaction to Bush's proposal for progressive indexing of SS. There are two possible solutions to the SS problem:
1) Raise Fica Taxes (The Worst by Far since the FICA surplus is the biggest scam in history).
2) Lower Benefits

One of these two must be done to correct the shortfall. President Bush proposed the second. Moreover, he proposed that the people who would recieve lower benefits would be the wealthy. He basically caved into Democrats and gave them what they wanted. But then Democrats said to themselves: "No, he proposed what we wanted. Now we can't oppose him. Guess we'll just have to oppose our own policies."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. I mentioned SS as an example of what is going on. Thanks for summing it up. I am surprised their hasnt been more press about this honestly. Then again, maybe Im not.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:24 AM

There is no press because SS reform is dead. Our country is going backrupt in 20 years. But then again that's why I'm diversifying my assets as best I can internationally.