Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: I\'d like to share an interesting quote from an interesting book.

The placebo effect has nothing to do with people using their minds to cure disease.

The placebo effect is a statistical phenomenon, with a little bit of lying added to it. If you track people with a complaint over time, some of them will get better no matter what they do. It is not because they are using their minds to cure themselves... sometimes people just get better. In addition, some people when asked will say that they are better even though they are not... because sometimes people lie.

Irieguy
Old 05-24-2005, 08:15 PM

the ph part is true. I recently had a health problem due to having too much acid in my body. This was diagnosed by a doctor so its not new age baloney. Stress can contribute to excess acid in the body. Words and attitudes can cause stress.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 PM

Kevin Trudeau is one of the pioneers of the infomercial biz. His "Mega Memory" 30 minute commercial ran for years and years, and I see him pop up on late night TV with some new product every now and again.

He's very good at what he does, and he seems like a nice enough guy, but he's not exactly an expert at anything but salesmanship. He's not accredited scientifically.

The placebo effect is a very interesting and little-understood but well-documented psychological effect. But I wouldn't put a lot of stock in whatever Kevin Trudeau has to say on the matter.

When you need brain surgery, you don't call up P.T. Barnum.