Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Party vs Stars

6-seaters on stars is a pretty good compromise IMO.

- ton of chips
- ton of flops
- etc.
- 3-4 fishies on the 13's.......2-3 on the 38's
- last about 1 hour

i've been 2-tabling (does that count?!) or 4-tabling for a few months now, depending what's on tv [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

pays 65/35% ...top heavy 1st, bodes well for aggressive/successful bubble play.

my secret though - don't share [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[poor heart couldn't take more than 6months of PP pushing - dunno HOW you guys do it!]
Old 05-20-2005, 02:13 AM

Yeah, but 10-handed requires less work. You get to slack off and be brainless even more.

BTW, the better player argument is just dumb, IMHO. If you want to play better players, you can just move up to the Party $22's for an equal skill level to the Stars $11's. (dunno if this is true, just making an example).
Old 05-20-2005, 02:18 AM

Party 800 chip SNG's seem to last between 35 and 40 minutes on average.

It's my considered hypothesis that that rules.

I don't think the skill factors of having more or less chips, faster or slower rising blinds, etc., can overcome, for a skilled player, the advantage of getting in more games per hour, unless you just get a very tiny number more.

A good player will adapt to whatever the structure is, and then beat the game. The more times per hour, the more money he makes.

All very simplistic, but it's much more simplistic a question than some people make it out to be. The more prizes there are to be won per hour, the more prizes per hour a skilled player can win. You can't really take skill to a significant extent out of that equation, even if luck starts to play a bigger part.

And even being an exceptionally competent player at slower structured games doesn't mean more prizes are being won per hour by anyone, including you.

You have to start positing a very significant difference in the impact of skill on the different structures to argue that a slower structure will make you more per hour, and the large variance in SNG play rules that out easily.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:19 AM

I was thinking the same thing. There's rarely anything close to a shortage of better players for the vast majority of people who will ever play poker. Just moving up will supply that very easily.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How long does a regular PP SNG last?

[/ QUOTE ]