Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Post for david...

I think both responses here have said the same thing cryptically: variance may be the only difference when looking at defending with these marginal hands in a vacuum, but defending your blind frequently in these seemingly 0 EV situations will add EV in a meta-game sense.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think both responses here have said the same thing cryptically: variance may be the only difference when looking at defending with these marginal hands in a vacuum, but defending your blind frequently in these seemingly 0 EV situations will add EV in a meta-game sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. and you should post more.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:25 PM

I disagree. At the higher limits, this situation comes up all the time and is extremely important. If you are folding to many big blinds or not playing aggressively enough after the flop, I believe that is enough to turn you from a winner to a loser in games 100-200 and higher. Paluka surely would disagree, I'm sure he'll pipe in soon.

In short, this situation cannot be dismissed. Party on.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:52 PM

The 73 suited thread involved an early position limper, a late position raiser and you calling with 73 suited from the bb.

I said in that thread that to make the call, you have to be a very good postflop player. DS corrected me and said that this was an easy call even if your postflop skills wre average.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:00 PM

Thank u SKP
Old 05-19-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 73 suited thread involved an early position limper, a late position raiser and you calling with 73 suited from the bb.

I said in that thread that to make the call, you have to be a very good postflop player. DS corrected me and said that this was an easy call even if your postflop skills wre average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that an older thread or a more recent one? Can anyone link it?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:10 PM

That thread was circa spring 2001. I am brutal at archives searches. And if I did find the old thread, I am even brutaler (sic) at linking it.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:16 PM

Everybody keeps saying that by defending our BB looser we deter future steals, and that is one of the big benefits. Now if we are making money with our 74o or k2o dont we want people attempting to steal our blind?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:29 PM

No, you don't want people raising when you post a blind bet.

Firstly, you don't make money by defending your blinds with hands like 74. Hell, I don't think you make money from the blinds with any hands except the premium ones. The point though is that you may reduce your losses by defending more. Or, at least, that's the question being asked by Hiatus Over.

But overall: We all would be delighted if no one ever raised when we posted our blinds and we certainly don't want a raise when we hold a hand like T7 but the question is whether we should grit our teeth and call in order to reduce the loss we would show if we folded.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody keeps saying that by defending our BB looser we deter future steals, and that is one of the big benefits. Now if we are making money with our 74o or k2o dont we want people attempting to steal our blind?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because if nobody raises, you're losing less (making more).