Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Stars $650 WSOP sat. Turned top 2, insta-call?

What he said..

I've played in a lot of these, and you'll be surprised what you'll get shown down. You'll get shown a set a small percentage of the time, and unbelievably marginal hands the rest.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt it. This hand probably wouldn't be posted if the hero didn't lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about you, but I post hands I ended up winning if I was unsure of my play.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is still a river to see......

As a side note, when I have been turning the nuts lately I have been grossly overbetting the pot and getting called far more than when I value bet......hmmmmmm

Stay tuned for my treatasie on "Costanza Poker: Do the Opposite and you will win"

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but this hand smells like the "I had a good hand, but could I have gotten away from it?" variety rather than a "I had the best hand when the money went in and got sucked out" variety.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:34 PM

haha, also if we keep playing so much poker, we will be abstaining from sex (fat, pale, degenerates get no chicks), and we know what that does for brain power.

There isnt a more satisfying play in poker than the huge overbet with a made hand when you have been really lagging it up and someone looks like they are prepared to make a stand.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about you, but I post hands I ended up winning if I was unsure of my play.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I. But neither you nor I posted the hand in question.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:06 PM

Villain has AA.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I do post both hands I win and that I lose, so it could have been either. In this one, I did call after using more than a minute and a half of my time bank, and he had a lower 2 pair. schzwa had it right off the bat with Q9. The point of the post wasn't really to elicit a bunch of guesses, but more to determine whether I was weak-tight for even giving it that much thought. (hence the "insta-call?" in my title) Nobody said fold, and nobody said to insta-call either, so it seems like my line of reasoning at the time was warranted.

The other thing about the hand that I found interesting was that his line didn't make sense for many hands. So if you take for granted my no-bluff read (yes this is a big assumption) he has something that is beating the top pair that I've represented on the flop and turn. Without being able to narrow further, I really could be ahead or behind.

In retrospect, his play makes some sense in that he decided to draw on the flop to his 5-outer, and raised when it hit, going all-in to avoid a difficult decision on the river. Any T,J, or club makes his decision difficult, and if I do have top pair like he suspects, a K or 4 kills his hand. Plus he doesn't know what other card will make me 2 pair to beat him. In my opinion it was still a big overplay on his part to put his whole stack in on a T650 pot but I could see how he would think he's ahead.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I do post both hands I win and that I lose, so it could have been either. In this one, I did call after using more than a minute and a half of my time bank, and he had a lower 2 pair. schzwa had it right off the bat with Q9. The point of the post wasn't really to elicit a bunch of guesses, but more to determine whether I was weak-tight for even giving it that much thought. (hence the "insta-call?" in my title) Nobody said fold, and nobody said to insta-call either, so it seems like my line of reasoning at the time was warranted.

The other thing about the hand that I found interesting was that his line didn't make sense for many hands. So if you take for granted my no-bluff read (yes this is a big assumption) he has something that is beating the top pair that I've represented on the flop and turn. Without being able to narrow further, I really could be ahead or behind.

In retrospect, his play makes some sense in that he decided to draw on the flop to his 5-outer, and raised when it hit, going all-in to avoid a difficult decision on the river. Any T,J, or club makes his decision difficult, and if I do have top pair like he suspects, a K or 4 kills his hand. Plus he doesn't know what other card will make me 2 pair to beat him. In my opinion it was still a big overplay on his part to put his whole stack in on a T650 pot but I could see how he would think he's ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing personal man, just in my experience about 80% of the hands posted on here are losers.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain has AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad guess.......

Turn looks like it.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 05-19-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing personal man, just in my experience about 80% of the hands posted on here are losers.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense taken - I agree that a good percentage of posts are "how can I get away from this" or good plays that lose looking for confirmation. Though the 80% figure may be a bit high...