Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Short-Handed Flucuations

Does this one help any? :

Old 05-19-2005, 12:17 PM

Ding!

The lights came on! Thanks Matt! You rule!

Is there a difference between a winrate and bb/100 though? Someone once said something that made me think there was...perhaps they were taking about an hourly winrate though compared to a bb/100 winrate, which I do understand.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The reason people think variance changes as EV goes up is because people tend to think of variance as "variance from even", when it's actually variance from winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't grasp that. Would you hand feed me, please? Break it down a bit more...Smash it into baby food....

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me have a go.

People are more sensitive to losing money than they are to winning less money than expected. Your estimate of standard deviation doesn't care though. All it cares about is were you above or below expectation and by how much.

In concrete terms: If you are a 1BB/100 player and you lose 37BB in 1000 hands, it seems worse than if you are a 5BB/100 player and you win 3BB in 1000 hands. But (all else equal) those events are the same statistically.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ding!

Is there a difference between a winrate and bb/100 though? Someone once said something that made me think there was...perhaps they were taking about an hourly winrate though compared to a bb/100 winrate, which I do understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winrate is how much you win. BB/100 is a way of measuring your winrate. As is BB/hand, or SB/50.

If I drew a venn diagram, Winrate would be a big circle with little circles inside it for BB/100, etc etc.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
'Higher winrate = lower probability of a losing session' is a very different statement from "higher winrate = lower standard error after N hands." The former is clearly true. The second is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I believe Kevin got the terminoloy mixed up. Though, his point was clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to me, but I understand now. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ding!

[/ QUOTE ]

Winrate is how much you win. BB/100 is a way of measuring your winrate. As is BB/hand, or SB/50.

If I drew a venn diagram, Winrate would be a big circle with little circles inside it for BB/100, etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, it's correct to say that my winrate is $1000....or some monetary value?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. A rate is an amount per another amount. (miles per gallon, dollars per hour, BB per 100 hands, etc.)
Old 05-19-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The reason people think variance changes as EV goes up is because people tend to think of variance as "variance from even", when it's actually variance from winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't grasp that. Would you hand feed me, please? Break it down a bit more...Smash it into baby food....

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me have a go.

People are more sensitive to losing money than they are to winning less money than expected. Your estimate of standard deviation doesn't care though. All it cares about is were you above or below expectation and by how much.

In concrete terms: If you are a 1BB/100 player and you lose 37BB in 1000 hands, it seems worse than if you are a 5BB/100 player and you win 3BB in 1000 hands. But (all else equal) those events are the same statistically.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting there...thanks. I'm going to reread everything here, including my OP [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img], and then I'll come back to clarify my understanding...thanks again.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. A rate is an amount per another amount. (miles per gallon, dollars per hour, BB per 100 hands, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking, but [ QUOTE ]
Winrate is how much you win

[/ QUOTE ] threw me for a loop.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ding!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$1000 would be your winnings. $1000/day would be a winrate. The "rate" part of winrate means that it has to be "something" per "something else".