Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: KJo meets huge pot

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like your preflop raise at all....other than that I like the way you played the hand. Your right, no one is going to fold to your flop bet, and by checking then getting bet into you force the field to call 2 BB colds.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good that at least a couple people like the play... I can't be too insane if that's the case, right?

In hindsight, I definitely agree about the PF raise.

[ QUOTE ]
results?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're in the original post... the remaining opponents folded to my river bet. I don't know what anyone had.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for those of you who disagree with my flop play: Are you saying that you disagree with the strategy I referenced that Miller is outlining in SSH, or are you saying that you don't think that strategy applies here? And if it doesn't apply here, why doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't apply here, in the book, Ed is talking about forgoing a flop RAISE. For example, you have pocket 10s in a 5 way pot, flop is 862, 4 players bet into you, you should call instead of raise. (This might be a poor example, but hopefully it gets the point across)

In your example, most of the field checked to you, there is only 1 player left to act behind you. totally different situations. I doubt Ed Miller would ever say to check this flop.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The pot was big -- no one was folding to one bet.
You don't know that. Someone who may have absolutely noting on this flop, say 7-8s of the wrong suit, could pick up a free draw on the turn that he would be happy to go to the river with because he didn't have to call a flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me try to clarify something... for those of you who disagree with my flop play: Are you saying that you disagree with the strategy I referenced that Miller is outlining in SSH, or are you saying that you don't think that strategy applies here? And if it doesn't apply here, why doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with the application here.

Because noone has bet before you, if UTG has bet and everyone calls not raising with the expectation that he will bet again on the turn maybe yes wait your raise will not knock anyone out or protect your hand. You have no guarentee after its checked through on the flop that someone will bet the turn giving you that chance. Also I still want to give people the chance to fold on the flop. You only have tpgk, you have no idea what a scare card is against 6 people.

You have the best hand bet it.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:59 AM

reading some of the posts in this thread is making me really freaking nauseaus.

PLEASE BET THE FLOP!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:00 PM

Bet the flop. Not for protection, for value.

Any piece is probably right to call, but not all will. Even if they do, you're making money.

-d
Old 05-18-2005, 01:48 PM

Ok, fine. I thought about all this over lunch, and I suppose if this many people are telling me I'm wrong, there's probably a good chance I'm wrong.

I suppose the key difference, as has been said, is that there's no bet ahead of me on the flop. If there was, then at least all the drawing folks are paying *something* even if it's not me who's making them pay it.

But at least I did learn something. To get one of my threads past two pages of replies, I need to disagree with everyone for at least the entire first two pages. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2005, 01:50 PM

I have 50 replies per page, so it's just 1 page. Try more. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Basically, you have to give them the opportunity to make an incorrect play.

-d
Old 05-18-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have 50 replies per page, so it's just 1 page. Try more. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Argh! The one aspect of this thread I could be happy about, and you've snatched it away from me! I must go mope now.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, fine. I thought about all this over lunch, and I suppose if this many people are telling me I'm wrong, there's probably a good chance I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for what it's worth, in my mind this was a good place to wait for the turn to protect your hand by facing people with a 2BB call.

I'm not sure why this doesn't qualify as an SSH "wait until the turn" situation. Granted, an A2 might beat you that would have folded the flop, but soooo many loose players would call an Ace for one bet anyway, I don't see how it matters.

For 2 bets on the turn, many people will be making a mistake to call. For 1 bet on the flop and 1 on the turn, everyone has odds to call.

I guess I suck at poker...
Old 05-18-2005, 02:07 PM

Are you checking AA here?

-d