Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Fitness: Running Before Bed

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta say the Ray Zee is dead wrong this time. Running is one of the best exercises you can do. But you must do it AT LEAST 3 times a week for it to be effective. Start with a mile and work up to 3. Its not that difficult if you add 1/4 mile every 10 days. If you're a really fat fcuk right now and you can't do a mile, start with 1/2 a mile and move up every 10 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last summer I was running 5.5 miles 3 times a week and I was overweight at 6'1" 210 lbs.

When I was in high school, I was at about 220 lbs. and I hadn't done any exercise in about 3 years. There was no way I could run a mile at that point. If you've been somewhat active though, 1 mile shouldn't be much of a problem. It will be more difficult than you think though, so you might get frustrated and quit.

I'd recommend doing mostly walking to start out, with only 3 short runs (1 minute or so) to start out. The whole routine should take at least 20 minutes. You can gradually increase your runs, eventually doing 2 longer runs instead of 3, and then ultimately doing just one long run.

This will be more beneficial for a number of reasons. First, you will be able to improve more rapidly, which should keep you motivated. It will help prevent injury, because you'll be building up to a higher intensity, rather than just starting off with something that's more difficult. Finally, it will just be better because you'll be excersizing for a longer period of time, rather than just running a mile, which will help you lose weight more quickly.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you really fat?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I didn't say fat...but I'm heavier than I'd like. I'm used to being in pretty good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can design a workout routine for you if you want. It will involve cutting down on the Doritos and increasing the miles.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:57 AM

It's best to run when you wake up. Running at night burns off things you ate during the day, but running in the morning directly burns fat.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you really fat?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I didn't say fat...but I'm heavier than I'd like. I'm used to being in pretty good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can design a workout routine for you if you want. It will involve cutting down on the Doritos and increasing the miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this routine involve pink shirts and some popping collar action?

If so, I really don't think Jake is up for it, [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if you can run a mile then you dont need to lose weight. anyway brisk walking is better for you as running will come back to haunt you later in life if you do too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, thanks Ray. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I run twice a week now (usually about 3-4 miles each session), but I also do a variety of other cardiovascular excercises because my right knee went a bit wonky a few months back.

I have found that with a good leg strengthening program using machines and weights has helped made my knee much stronger than it was before.

By the way Ray, brisk walking doesn't do much for the gut. Just look at Mason and David.

Lawrence [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you really fat?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this routine involve pink shirts and some popping collar action?

If so, I really don't think Jake is up for it, [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 5'10" 155 with a 30 inch waist. I have a very low body fat percentage. I'm sure that I could design a workout routine for Jake, and no, it doesn't have to involve pink shirts and popped collars, although both of those things are cool.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Running a mile" is being used to mean a lot of different things in this thread, I think. Are you running at near top speed for the entire mile without a break? Are you running/jogging medium speed the entire time? Are you running, walking, running, walking?

Sure, almost anybody can make it to somewhere 1+ miles away while mostly running, but not necessarily straight through without a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about "jogging" a mile w/o stopping. I'm obviously not indicating some lard ass could sprint a mile.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 5'10" 155 with a 30 inch waist. I have a very low body fat percentage. I'm sure that I could design a workout routine for Jake, and no, it doesn't have to involve pink shirts and popped collars, although both of those things are cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...thanks, Dead. But I'm pretty sure I'm capable of designing my own routine given that I spent several years in the Marine Corps and have, at various times, competed with varying degrees of seriousness as a boxer, martial artist and triathlete.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:30 PM

When running in the 'morning' should I be going jogging for an extended period of time or running (not sprinting) for a shorter period of time.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:45 PM

From a fitness standpoint it's best to maintain a quick jog. If you are trying to go for the best possible time, I think running, then a little walking to recover, then running again will be your best bet.

~D