Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: YES and Yes/No

[ QUOTE ]
You can't imagine a lazy or uninterested court-appointed counsel making a quick deal so he can be done with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if the facts are as Felix describes them, no. Low level employee being charged with multiple counts of wire fraud (just a guess on the crime) who, if we are to believe the story, showed no criminal intent whatsoever. I can't see it.

I will also say that public defenders get an undeserved bad rap.

[ QUOTE ]
I should know, I'll be one in August

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you take the bar in february or are you just wishfully thinking that the july exams will be scored and you'll be sworn in by August?

If you're in the midst of studying for it...don't sweat it. Just do exactly what BARBRI says to do. It really isn't as hard as people make it out to be.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: YES and Yes/No

[ QUOTE ]
Not if the facts are as Felix describes them, no. Low level employee being charged with multiple counts of wire fraud (just a guess on the crime) who, if we are to believe the story, showed no criminal intent whatsoever. I can't see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither, which was why I made the original reply. I'm just trying to give Felix the benefit of the doubt. If he is giving an accurate description of what happened, I don't think you can say the lawyer involved was anything but crappy.

[ QUOTE ]
I will also say that public defenders get an undeserved bad rap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I will likely be getting a good deal of court-appointed work early in my career.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you take the bar in february or are you just wishfully thinking that the july exams will be scored and you'll be sworn in by August?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I will be working in a firm in August. I will not, of course, be an attorney, but I will try to be a convincing facsimile thereof. Taking the bar in July.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're in the midst of studying for it...don't sweat it. Just do exactly what BARBRI says to do. It really isn't as hard as people make it out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barbri starts Monday. I really couldn't be less worried, but I'm sure that will change once mid-July rolls around and I have to teach myself RAP for the 82nd time.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Question about American justice system

[ QUOTE ]
JaxA$$ continues to show his own stupidity. A) All of the judges that are appointed by the president are appellate court and higher, and thus have no influence on plea bargains or the 'overloaded' courts. Judges in those courts are elected or appointed locally. B) Congress has approved 95% of the more than 200 judges nominated by President Bush in the last five years, leaving only TEN that have been rejected. I seriously doubt this has had any significant impact on the number of cases that have been delayed or dismissed at the Appellate Court level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling me stupid yet failing totally to make accurate statements through the majority of your posts is the definition of irony.

First, do some research on the case loads of the appellate courts. Whether or not the loads they experience are a function of a lack of judges or due to an increase in the villainy of the people of this country is another debate.

Second, do some research as to how many of the nominees that I am talking about have been "rejected" as you claim. The ones I am worried about have not at all been rejected. In fact, the obstructionist Democrats in the Senate are refusing to do their job and VOTE on them.

Third, I don't care if it has had any "significant" (by how you seem to be using the word) impact or not, if its had any, that makes it significant to me.