Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Nano-limits rate questions. Please help.

[ QUOTE ]

Just watch at .5/1 table at Stars. You will see that many pots go uncontested (appx. half). You don't get the pot preflop though, so follow up bets are needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? wow. I knew they were tight but I didn't know they were that tight. Interesting.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:32 PM

Figured I would share my story since it is close to yours. I recently started at stars .05/.10. I deposited $100 and figured I would give the nano's a shot. 1k hands later I was beating them for 12bb/100 and figured I would move up and give 25/50 a shot.

Note that I have $500 more for a br not on a site atm, waiting to put that on ppoker. Anyway, first night I found a realy good table and ended up making about 12bb/100 there, and thought "this is easy". Ofcoarse I realized that I was running hot. Anyway, about 400 hands later I am about break even there. The game dosn't seem tough, but it's scary droping $20 bucks in two or three big hands that get cracked.

Along the way I have also played 3 $1 mtt and two $5 sitandgo's as well as a foray into nl wich cost me almost $5 in one semi bad beat. I placed 40th out of 2000 in one of the $1 tourns for a whoping $5.77 for 4 hrs of play.

At the end of it all I am sitting at $91.77. Definatly not where I would be if I had the choise, but not too bad I supose. In the end, my only real usefull advise is that when you move up, play your game, instead of being intimidated by the $. It realy isn't that much, and your still as good of a player as you were. I know I have this problem and don't win as much on my good hands, ie, get alittle weaker due to fear.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just watch at .5/1 table at Stars. You will see that many pots go uncontested (appx. half). You don't get the pot preflop though, so follow up bets are needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? wow. I knew they were tight but I didn't know they were that tight. Interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on the day. Friday and Saturday nights are soft. Weekdays and daytimes are killer tight.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:21 PM

I played at the nanos for a long time. I personally think a winrate of 5+/100 is sustainable because there is no rake.

That being said, don't worry about yr bb/100 winrate too much. It can be deceptive.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:33 PM

Just try not to worry about your winrate. Focus on playing well and moving up.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just try not to worry about your winrate. Focus on playing well and moving up.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice. At Nano you can have a wider range of starting hands and a typical fit or fold mentality works. You'll play many more hands than will work at higher levels of play. At Ultimate Bet nano I typically play about 40% of starting hands, but very rarely go past the flop vs. at the 0.25/0.5 and 0.5/1 level I'm seeing the flop under 20% of the time. The main difference is the Nano's have 6-8 seeing the flop and the Micro's have 3-4....Also the Nano's seem to stick to draws more often, i.e. you'll have many more "bad beats" at Nano's.

The biggest difference is that at the Nano's you typically have Odds to call a single bet on the flop and turn. At the Micro's the pot isn't always large enough to support continued play in the hand and you have to make the laydown.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:06 AM

Thanks to all for the helpful posts. I'm going to keep moving slow and build the roll. I know the game that I play at .05/.10 that's been returning 12BB/100 wouldn't work at higher limits since my starting hand selection is so much wider. I'd say I average seeing 45% of the flops, but my win rate at showdown is nearly 50%. I know this pre-flop play is a recipe for disaster at higher limits, but it's working well now. The bad beats are higher, but there are so many players in the pot that the pots get very large in terms of BB ($1.50 pots in a .05/.10 game are common). and you have odds to call in many cases.

In other words, I'm a bit confused. Adapting to this style from the style that would be successful at higher limits is yielding good returns, but is it wise? I'm always evaluating pot odds with each post-flop bet/call, but know that this could be dangerous ground I'm treading.