Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: GSIH No-Limit Short Stack Strategy

[ QUOTE ]
Well, of course you WANT to be called, that is the goal if your raises. Ideally you would be called every time (including the first 2-3 times). Most of the time you will be (unless you are doing something wrong) but sometimes everyone will fold, either preflop or on the flop.

You don't know what the other players hold, nor EXACTLY how willing they are to call your raises. You can not always make an optimal raise, just a pretty good estimate of what would be appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely correct. All I was saying is that if you're using this system and you find you're often just picking up the blinds, then you should probably re-evaluate the sizing of your raises (or even how choice the table you are sitting at is for this style of play). Undoubtedly it will happen, but if you're at a loose enough table (not hard to find on most sites), picking up the blinds should definitely be the exception rather than the rule.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:14 PM

Yes, you have a good point that if they keep folding, perhaps you should change table.

I've been trying out this playing style at Party NL$25 today (using the min buy-in at $5) and found one table where i often got several callers when I raised $2 (8BB) and another where I kept picking up the blinds with $1 raises.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you have a good point that if they keep folding, perhaps you should change table.

I've been trying out this playing style at Party NL$25 today (using the min buy-in at $5) and found one table where i often got several callers when I raised $2 (8BB) and another where I kept picking up the blinds with $1 raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been my observation at the $50 party tables (I'm buying in for $11 usually). A raise for EP almost always wins the blinds. Occasionally a LP raise will get a limper to call.

FWIW, using this strategy I had a stretch of 300 hands with a VP$IP of ZERO. That would have been bearable if I had only lost my blinds, but during that stretch I flopped a straight out of the BB and pushed, got a caller that hit a runner-runner flush.

Overall, though, I'm up about $15 in just under 1000 hands.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:44 AM

Hm.. sounds like you're just running bad, not winning more than that. I have no doubts that this is a winning strategy.

I'm not too happy to hear about the tightness of the $50 tables, as my plan was to move up in limits at Party once I have a little more experience playing this style. Anyone else have an opinion on the Party NL tables at $50-$200 max buy-in?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hm.. sounds like you're just running bad, not winning more than that. I have no doubts that this is a winning strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt. I just haven't been getting anything. This morning, though, I played 50 hands and doubled up twice. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 06:07 PM

Justed started experimenting with this strategy myself, Am I right in assuming that we are treating the blinds as late positions here as we are trying to get the cash in preflop we aren't worried about acting first in the post flop rounds?

Mat
Old 05-13-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Justed started experimenting with this strategy myself, Am I right in assuming that we are treating the blinds as late positions here as we are trying to get the cash in preflop we aren't worried about acting first in the post flop rounds?

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes sir.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:57 AM

So is anyone making much money with this strategy ? I've played 1400 hands of party 25NL using it and am about $40 up so far, small sample size I know but it looks promising!

However trying it at the 50NL tables was rather different, I seem to either pick up the blinds with my raise, or get called by AA ;-( $60 down there after 250 hands!

Mat
Old 05-17-2005, 11:17 AM

My sample size is still far too small to be of much importance, but FWIW I'm also up a decent amount on Party $25 and down at Party $50. It's harder to get calls at $50 (Although I once got a call from 73s when reraising all-in several times the pot. He made a straight and beat me. Probably the most bizarre bad beat I've taken so far. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])