Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: American History X

Your opinion is wrong.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:53 PM

anybody else have a real good idea of what his opinion of this movie would be before opening the thread?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 AM

To me it was a very powerful move. To show the hate that exists in today society. The hate and racism that we do not see.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Good Movie

I like the movie...

And for the OP.....the first violent scene was MAKE BELIEVE! The black actor was not hurt in anyway.... And he was VERY happy for the work so he could pay his SAG dues.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2005, 02:33 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
It seemed hamfisted and rather unlikely to have Norton's character go through the transformation that he does: "Hey, you know, prison has taught me that not all black people are bad! Like this guy I did the laundry with, he told some funny jokes and we made good conversation! And some white dudes are anal rapists! What a fool I've been all along! Oh, little Eddie Furlong, let me teach you the error of your ways."

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really need 5 extra hours of him rehabbing his thoughts while in rpison to get the point across?

b
Old 05-09-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really need 5 extra hours of him rehabbing his thoughts while in rpison to get the point across?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that would probably make a pretty boring movie. I think it was a bad direction for the movie to take, because it just doesn't seem like something his character would do.

But perhaps I'm wrong, and the path to true racial harmony in the U.S. starts with a bunch of hard-hitting white boys running a train on the Grand Wizard of the KKK while he watches Chappelle's Show.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:51 AM

This movie was on my nightstand for 6 months. My roommate kept telling me to watch it. What held me back was the curb scene. Just the thought of it. Mind you, i've seen some pretty nasty, violent sh*t. Which one of my buds brought up to me the other day when I told him my reaction to that scene. That scene resonates a little too deep for me for many personal reasons. My imagination is a little too vivid for me in that respect.

So I finally watched it about a month ago. I thought it was a very powerful flick. But I've also read enough about this type of racism, along with seeing enough documentaries, that they don't have to fill in all the blanks. I've encountered some people that have that type of attitude, though not quite that extreme. I've also read about people who have recovered from their beliefs by being around a single person. It reminded me of a story in the paper long ago about a jewish guy and an aryan who eventually became friends. 1 guy can make a difference.

Personally, I really do not understand having that intense of hate towards someone just because of their race (among other things people have intense hate towards someone over that they basically know nothing about personally). I just don't get it. But it is a real fact of life on many levels.

For entertainment:

I didn't make it during the curb scene. Right when the guy's teeth just touch the curb, I literally had to go outside. Bolting for the door. Kind of glad my roomie wasn't home to witness that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I've never had to do that before, ever. I would pace a bit, calming my nerves, then open the door and listen to see if the scene was over. It seemed to take forever. But, once it was over, I was able to enjoy the flick.

b
Old 05-09-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't make it during the curb scene. Right when the guy's teeth just touch the curb, I literally had to go outside. Bolting for the door. Kind of glad my roomie wasn't home to witness that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I've never had to do that before, ever. I would pace a bit, calming my nerves, then open the door and listen to see if the scene was over. It seemed to take forever. But, once it was over, I was able to enjoy the flick.

[/ QUOTE ]
I watched this movie in the theater. The sound of the guy's teeth grinding up to the curb in surround sound is still the most uncomfortable I've ever been in a movie theater.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I watched this movie in the theater. The sound of the guy's teeth grinding up to the curb in surround sound is still the most uncomfortable I've ever been in a movie theater.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't even imagine seeing this in the theatre and having no idea that this was coming. At least I had a chance to mentally prepare myself.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it was a bad direction for the movie to take, because it just doesn't seem like something his character would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

His character was a thinker. He wasn't going to selectively look the other way while his protection didn't practice what they preached. That's where he kind of started questioning his own motives. The laundry was his only real solace for interaction with someone else. He was out on his own after he left the protection of his group in prison. Yes, it's very possible that someone hardcore could make friends and get to know someone with anyone in that type of situation. It turns from being about survival survival to genuine.

I guess they could've thrown in a few more shower rape scenes.

b