Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: my 1% plan

this does not sound good. limiting your play by limiting your BR will not work. If you can't control your play without devising some ridiculous scheme for yourself, you need to stop. I am not trying to be an ass, but gambling adictions are just like any other. What would you say if a recovering alcholic decided he would use only 1% of his salary for booze in a given year?
Old 05-08-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would you say if a recovering alcholic decided he would use only 1% of his salary for booze in a given year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably that he needs to go back to counseling. Good point.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:58 PM

I graduate from college in 2 weeks, and soon after I'll enter into a position paying $85k-$100k per year.

Im curious as to what you will be doing making this kind of money. Where did you go to college? What was your major? Who will you be working for?

cubs
Old 05-08-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I graduate from college in 2 weeks, and soon after I'll enter into a position paying $85k-$100k per year.

Im curious as to what you will be doing making this kind of money. Where did you go to college? What was your major? Who will you be working for?

cubs

[/ QUOTE ]

I graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a B.S. in Petroleum Engineering. As to who I will be working for, that's none of your business. (no offense, but who pays me my salary isn't relevant.)
Old 05-08-2005, 05:07 PM

as others have pointed out...limiting your bankroll does not mean limiting your play.

I could easily deposit $40 into a site and likely play on that money forever if that's what I wanted to do.

This is assuming I had some other source of income..and, of course, that I'm a winning player able to beat the all-stars playing the nano-limits.

$40 would be 1000BB's at .02/.04 on Stars so I could very easily just keep playing and playing and playing without EVER having to re-deposit.
This doesn't even include free-rolls and reload bonuses on other sites like crypto for example.

Anyway your plan is not a particularly good one.

If you insist on getting back into the game AND you already know you have addiction problems with this then you should set limits of $50 or 3 hours each week. Whichever comes first.
Something like that would at least be better than the plan you are suggesting.

Of course given your background an even better suggestion would be to avoid poker altogether. At least for now as you continue to get your life together.

You are starting a new job...this is good. But things are changing for you rapidly and you need to focus on your new job.

The transition from college to the 'real' world is a significant one and you shouldn't try to find ways to possibly screw up that transition right off the bat.

The transition was a particularly difficult one for me.
In fact, sometimes I feel like I'm still transitioning (I'm 34).
Old 05-08-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Dr. Milo\'s fairly lengthy response

[ QUOTE ]
Many of you are saying that I am/ was dangerously addicted, and I'm not going to argue with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me further explain. Your response confirmed my original suspicion that you were gambling in a pathological manner. There are a number of criteria, but the line is generally drawn at the point at which the behavior interferes with social, occupational or interpersonal functioning. At least two of these are true. I would not dream of diagnosing over the internet, but you are describing a pathological gambler. And yes, it is possible to be a +EV pathological gambler. Bottom line, there are several schools of thought regarding moderation vs. abstinence. In the UK, many believe in moderation for alcoholics, while in the US, we push for total abstinence. In my 20-odd years in psychology, I have seen the moderation approach succeed, but very, very rarely (once, that I recall).

You are entering a difficult transition period in life, and should be looking to minimize your stressors. This is not the time to take up gambling again, thinking you've got it beat, you've got a system. I have heard a version of this plan from hundreds, if not thousands of addicts and alcoholics, who returned to using, thinking they had beat the addictive part of the behavior, and could safely use again. They all failed. I would not expect your endeavor to meet with success.

Finally, this forum, made up entirely of degenerate gamblers, is overwhelmingly against your plan. Ignoring that fact alone is cause for alarm. I applaud your entry into counseling, and would respectfully recommend you return to counseling to discuss your plan, so that you can best understand your motivations.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:35 PM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

you cant be this dumb and have obtained a full tuition scholarship and graduated with a petroleum engineering degree with all the accolades you so ostentatiously pointed out in your posts. but denial is a powerful evil..................
Old 05-08-2005, 05:46 PM

How did you F off and get bad grades for 2 years (1/2 of the time for a BS) yet still graduate with a 3.25?
~Justin
Old 05-08-2005, 06:00 PM

As to who I will be working for, that's none of your business.

Funny... most people are quick to tell you where they work but would never tell you how much they make... you seem to break this mold. For better or worse, at least we all know where your priorities lie.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll take a year break, find a new hobby before the next deposit, and probably never think about poker again. (I think that part/most of me wishes that that happens.)

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are really capable of finding a new hobby and never thinking about poker again, why not just do it now?