Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Was jesus real?

[ QUOTE ]
Have you read The Passover Plot by chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

I vaguely recall someone talking about this book many years ago. Written in late 60's or early 70's I would guess. I had no interest at the time in reading it.

I have read a few of Elaine Pagel’s books that are 'popular' accounts of her scholarly work on early Christianity. In my opinion they are very well done and worthwhile to read if you have an interest in this subject.

-Zeno
Old 05-08-2005, 04:00 AM

real, but mortal.

more importantly, does it really matter?
Old 05-08-2005, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
more importantly, does it really matter?

[/ QUOTE ]
To some, yes.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:12 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
It's not an absolute fact.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the sake of the thread, c'mon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Was there a real 'jesus' that lived the events the way the bible tells it? I don't believe so. Many of those events/stories pre-date his alleged existence. Not to mention the editing process when they put the bible together.

Was there likely a 'jesus' that 'inspired' some of the stories or inspired some to attribute the stories to him? Sure, why not?

b
Old 05-08-2005, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is practically impossible to have a purely historical discussion about Jesus. The reasons, I would think, are obvious. So all questions about this man are loaded by definition, especially in dealing with people steeped in western tradition. I will venture an answer anyway.

The historical Jesus is something of a mystery, in my opinion. It is plausible that the entire story is a myth. There are many similar myths throughout history that rise and fall in popularity and just because one particular myth survives does not mean it is true. The myth simply beat out competing myths for whatever political, economic, cultural, and social reasons - not to mention psychological. The Emperor Constantine comes to mind as I type this out. But many myths about individuals do contain a kernel of truth, however hazy.

In my view, there probably was a central figure that was crucified sometime around 2,000 years ago. But his life and death are a bit misty and lost in a fog of badly recorded history, selective memories of rather ignorant people, fragmentary evidence, and documents plainly written to push an agenda (the gospels, both canonical and otherwise). Much was concocted and amalgamated onto this central figure that did not happen, in my opinion (and also in the opinion of many scholars). And much was brought in from other myths or stories and added on later.

In addition, Christianity evolved, just like humanity’s concepts of supernatural beings evolved. For example, St. Paul changed and bent the direction of the small splitter group of Jews that were the original followers of Jesus.

There are numerous books and references to all the above. A little searching will produce volumes on the subject. The details are too much to go into here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much my take on it. Nice post.

b
Old 05-08-2005, 08:42 AM

No man has influenced the course of history more than Jesus. It would be remarkable if he was a superstition.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be remarkable if he was a superstition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? All he did was fill in the cookie-cutter myths of the messiah that his society had constructed.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:22 PM

And how would it all start? There needs to be at least an impetus. You actually think thousands of people two thousand years ago in Israel became impassioned by a rumor, an apparition? There are two billion Christians in the world today. If Jesus wasn't even a man at anytime in history, that would be incredible.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You actually think thousands of people two thousand years ago in Israel became impassioned by a rumor, an apparition?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Many are impassioned with scientology. Along with many other cults.

b
Old 05-08-2005, 11:46 PM

Scientology isn't based on the persona of one man and last time I checked Ron Hubbard existed. How the hell can a religion that is based on the coming and dying of one man, begin with out any man assuming that role to begin with. This thread is stupid. Saying that Jesus never existed is like saying Mohammad, Budda, Confusious, Lao Tsu, and Joseph Smith were never real people.